Learn Turf Hockey: A Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter rhuthwaite
  • Start date
In summary, the game of hockey is like football (soccer) on ice, with a disk called a puck. Players try to get the puck into the opposing team's goal, and there are rules regarding how roughly players can run opponents into the boards and how high their hands can be when they attack with their sticks. There is better regulation and consistency in hockey officiating than there is in basketball.
rhuthwaite
Could someone please explain the rules of this game too me please!
[I am from a country that doesn't play this game, (turf hockey is what we play)]

Physics news on Phys.org
You just have to watch the game.

They have enough replays that it should be easy to figure out.

Two teams. It's like football (soccer) on ice. THe ball is a disk called a puck. The point is to get the puck in the goal and beat up the guys on the other team. It's like boxing too. Lots of fans never find out about the "puck in goal" part of the game.

Chi Meson said:
Two teams. It's like football (soccer) on ice. THe ball is a disk called a puck. The point is to get the puck in the goal and beat up the guys on the other team. It's like boxing too. Lots of fans never find out about the "puck in goal" part of the game.

I think hockey is the only sport that let the athletes fight other than Boxing and such.

so you don't get sent off if you fight?! Is there offsides like in soccer?

Little black disk goes in net. How tough is that?

Thanks that makes it all clear... but I was referring to rules..

rhuthwaite said:
Thanks that makes it all clear... but I was referring to rules..
That is tougher. There are rules regarding icing that need clarification and then there are rules regarding how roughly players can run oppenents into the boards and how high their hands can be when they attack opponents with their sticks... it's kind of a poorly-regulated brawl in many instances.

turbo-1 said:
That is tougher. There are rules regarding icing that need clarification and then there are rules regarding how roughly players can run oppenents into the boards and how high their hands can be when they attack opponents with their sticks... it's kind of a poorly-regulated brawl in many instances.

Poorly regulated?! I think not.

There is better regulation and consistency in hockey officiating than there is in basketball.

The rules are relatively simple: 6 guys a side. The puck has to enter the opposing team's end before any offensive player or it is off sides. If you pass from behind your side of the center ice line and the puck goes all the way to the opposing team's goalie line, it's icing and the faceoff goes all the way back to deep in your own zone. Other than that t's basically what gets you put in the penalty box.

Thanx! (finally someone told me what I wanted to know)

No problem.

rhuthwaite said:
Thanx! (finally someone told me what I wanted to know)
Well! Consider where you posted:rolleyes:

1. What is turf hockey?

Turf hockey is a variant of field hockey that is played on artificial turf instead of natural grass. It is usually played outdoors, but can also be played indoors on a synthetic surface.

2. What equipment do I need to play turf hockey?

To play turf hockey, you will need a stick, a ball, and appropriate footwear. The stick should be specifically designed for turf hockey and the ball should be made of a hard plastic material. As for footwear, it is recommended to wear turf shoes or cleats with short, rubber studs.

3. What are the basic rules of turf hockey?

The basic rules of turf hockey are similar to field hockey. The objective of the game is to score goals by hitting the ball into the opponent's goal using your stick. Players are not allowed to use their hands or feet to play the ball, and the ball must stay on the ground at all times. There are also rules regarding fouls, penalties, and player positions.

4. How can I improve my skills in turf hockey?

To improve your skills in turf hockey, it is important to practice regularly and work on your stickhandling, passing, and shooting techniques. You can also watch videos or attend clinics to learn new techniques and strategies. It is also beneficial to play with more experienced players and receive feedback on your performance.

5. Is turf hockey a safe sport?

Like any sport, there is always a risk of injury in turf hockey. However, the use of proper equipment, following the rules, and playing on a well-maintained turf field can greatly reduce the risk of injuries. It is important to also warm up and stretch before playing to prevent muscle strains and other injuries.