Instantly Freeze Beer in 5 Seconds?

In summary, the conversation discusses a video where a glass of water appears to freeze instantly in a freezer locker, raising questions about its authenticity. Members offer explanations for this phenomenon, including supercooling and nucleation sites. However, it is ultimately determined that the video is likely doctored and the straw and fire are used as a bait and switch tactic.
Newai
I can't seem to get this to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQifsQjvxyQ

Real?

Physics news on Phys.org
Newai said:
I can't seem to get this to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQifsQjvxyQ

Real?

Notice that they are in a freezer locker. The end of the video is edited to time-lapse it so that the hour it takes to freeze the glass looks like it happens in a few seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can clearly see where they cut and pasted the scenes.

Okay, I can go with a video cut, but a freezer locker? With vinyl floor and weights on wooden shelves?

Newai said:
Okay, I can go with a video cut, but a freezer locker? With vinyl floor and weights on wooden shelves?

Yeah, you guys are probably right. At first it looked like a freezer locker, but a video cut seems more likely.

How could they possibly think anyone would take this seriously??

The entire lighting of the scene changes dramatically in the "few seconds" that the ice freezes.

DaveC426913 said:
How could they possibly think anyone would take this seriously??

Because P.T. Barnum was right. EDIT: Now more than ever given population growth.

Frame Dragger said:
Because P.T. Barnum was right. EDIT: Now more than ever given population growth.

That is exactly what I had been considering saying. (I refrained out of conisderation for the OP.)

DaveC426913 said:
That is exactly what I had been considering saying. (I refrained out of conisderation for the OP.)

I have been known to be blunt more often than not, especially when the perfect phrase has already been coined! :smile:

Lets be frank, you're a much kinder person than I am online. I have already been called "hard-hearted" by the now dearly departed yotzzmun. :rolleyes: Now he was someone who really tested my restraint, and I think jtbell must have been feeling merciful when he didn't smite me. :wink:

Newai said:
Real?

I do not claim to know how this works, but I have experienced this accidentally before.

I put some bottles in the freezer, when I looked later one was frozen but the other was still completely liquid. When I took the liquid one out of the freezer, right before my eyes, it froze solid in a few seconds.

Also on a morning when it was just at freezing outside I found liquid dew on my windshield I turned on the windshield wipers and as soon as they started moving the dew turned to ice instantly.

Maybe the salt acted like the salt used to make ice cream in a homemade ice cream machine.

I have no idea about the straw and fire.

Can anyone explain how what I experienced works?

The bottles: one was has some liquid unfrozen, and because of the expansion of the water as it froze, the water was either pooled in the bottom or top, or "smooshed" around the edged giving the ILLUSION of being unfrozen. You move it, and that liquid settles into a few cracks, or just flat out breaks the illusion.

The dew on your car probably WAS frozen, but your car gets hot from the inside out, right? So you melt (partially) the dewdrop on the side of the window facing you (inside of the car). Hit the wiper and what LOOKS like water droplets, falls away as ice (leaving some streaks perhaps?).

Frame Dragger said:
perhaps?

Good theories. However when I took the bottle out of the freezer it was completely clear and sloshed in the bottle as I took it out like a liquid. Then crystallized within a few seconds right before my eyes.

The dew on my windshield looked to be liquid from outside my car, being smooth and shiny and completely clear, then instantly crystallized and became opaque as soon as the wipers began to move.

Can water be cooled to the edge of freezing and still remain liquid until some kinetic energy stimulates the crystallization?

dlwilliamson said:
I put some bottles in the freezer, when I looked later one was frozen but the other was still completely liquid. When I took the liquid one out of the freezer, right before my eyes, it froze solid in a few seconds.

Also on a morning when it was just at freezing outside I found liquid dew on my windshield I turned on the windshield wipers and as soon as they started moving the dew turned to ice instantly.

Can anyone explain how what I experienced works?
Yup. Not uncommon. It's called supercooling.

Freezing requires more than simply cold temperatures. It requires nucleation sites as well. If there are no nucleation sites for the water to begin crystalizing at, then, in some cases the water simply does not crystalize, even as the temp drops well below freezing. The water is supercooled and unstable. Give it a shake and the whole thing'll freeze rapidily.

DaveC426913 said:
It requires nucleation sites as well.

Excellent! Thank You!

So that could explain the video.

But I still do not see the relevance of the straw and fire.

DaveC426913 said:
It requires nucleation sites as well.

Excellent! Thank You!

dlwilliamson said:
Excellent! Thank You!

There is no relevance. Like superheating of water, the issue is the water falling below freezing (or past boiling) without nucleation sites for bubbles or crystals to form. You must live in a very cold place, or have a VERY powerful freezer.

Whether I'm right, or DaveC is, the Straw and Fire = "Abracadabra" for this "trick".

It does NOT explain the video either, which as has been established, is clearly doctored.

dlwilliamson said:
Excellent! Thank You!

Yes, as FD points out: the video is not real. It's done with time-lapse. The straw and fire are bait & switch.

Put a beer in the freezer being sure not to disturb it.
Pull it out the next day, and hit another bottle on top of the super cooled one. Insta frozen beer.

MotoH said:
Pull it out the next day, and hit another bottle on top of the super cooled one. Insta frozen beer.

NOTE: This can be dangerous...

lol

The message is not too short, damn you.

!10 char

MotoH said:

haha nice. party trick maybe? :smile:

What is the science behind instantly freezing beer in 5 seconds?

The science behind instantly freezing beer in 5 seconds is based on a process called supercooling. This is when a liquid is cooled below its freezing point without actually forming a solid. When the beer is opened and agitated, it causes a chain reaction that quickly freezes the liquid, resulting in a slushy consistency.

Is it safe to drink beer that has been instantly frozen?

Yes, it is safe to drink beer that has been instantly frozen. Supercooled liquids do not change their chemical composition, so the beer will still be the same as before it was frozen. However, it is important to note that the sudden freezing may cause the carbonation to expand, so it is recommended to open the beer outside or over a sink to prevent a mess.

Can any type of beer be instantly frozen?

Most types of beer can be instantly frozen, but it depends on the alcohol content and carbonation level. Beers with a higher alcohol content and lower carbonation are more likely to successfully supercool. Beers with a lower alcohol content and high carbonation may not freeze as easily.

Does the temperature of the beer affect the ability to instantly freeze it?

Yes, the temperature of the beer does affect its ability to be instantly frozen. The colder the beer is before attempting to freeze it, the easier it will be to supercool. Ideally, the beer should be chilled to at least 20°F (-6°C) before attempting this process.

Are there any risks or dangers associated with instantly freezing beer?

There are no major risks or dangers associated with instantly freezing beer, as long as proper precautions are taken. It is important to open the beer outside or over a sink to prevent a mess, and to avoid consuming the beer if it has been sitting out for an extended period of time after being supercooled. Additionally, it is not recommended to leave supercooled beer in the freezer for too long, as it may eventually freeze solid and potentially cause the bottle to shatter.