Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ice melting

1. Jul 25, 2006 #1
    Hello
    I was wondering:
    in which enviroment ice will be melt faster, air or water?
    I ahd argue with my friend recently, we needed Ice and he put it in pot with moderately cold water. Since we were outside and temperature was normal, about 17-18 Cel degree I said it will melt faster in water, but he claimed that it will melt faster in normal air.
    It was too long to wait and we used all ice so we didn't experiment. I wonder who was right and what "scientific" explanation would be.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2006 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Since water is denser than air, it carries more heat and thus will melt ice faster (given the same relative amount of convection).

4. Jul 25, 2006 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I have another way of answer this in addition to what russ has said.

Strip yourself naked and walk into a room that has an air temperature of 50 F. Now compare that when you jump into water that is also at 50 F. In which one do you think you will feel cold faster?

Zz.

5. Jul 25, 2006 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I assume the water would feel colder. I agree that water will melt ice faster (more intuitively than by method), but when I dip my finger in a cup that's been sitting in a room for a while, it always feels colder.

But then... I hear humans are terrible thermometers.

6. Jul 25, 2006 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

While humans are not good in giving absolute values, they are good at COMPARING between things. This is what I was trying to do. Water is a better "conductor" of heat than air. In fact, air is pretty much an insulator. That's what you often use to keep warm (or cool).

Zz.

7. Jul 25, 2006 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

To elaborate, the human sense of temperature depends more on the rate of heat conduction than absolute temperature, which is why a room temperature piece of wood feels warmer than a room temperature piece of metal - and also why if you strip yourself naked, you'll feel colder in 50 degree water than in 50 degree air.

8. Jul 25, 2006 #7

Mk

Why would I strip myself naked and jump in 50 degree F water anyway? Or 50K? Or 50C? Now that would be mildly unplesant!

9. Jul 26, 2006 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Wimp!.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?