Solving Momentum Problems in Ice Skating Collisions

In summary, the problem is that two masses have different velocities and their total momentum is not the sum of the individual momentum vectors.
decamij
I'm kinda having trouble with this problem. can n e one help me out?

Two ice skaters undergo a collision, after which their arms
are intertwined and they have a common velocity of 0.85 m/s
[27° S of E]. Before the collision, one skater of mass 71 kg
had a velocity of 2.3 m/s [12° N of E], while the other skater
had a velocity of 1.9 m/s [52° S of W]. What is the mass of
the second skater?

I tried to use the law of conservation of momentum and maybe draw a vector diagram, but i only have one momentum that i can actually calculate now. How can i do this (preferably without using components)?

Physics news on Phys.org
On the contrary, you have THREE momentum vectors! Yes, two of them depend on the unknown mass but surely that won't bother you. Call the unknown mass "m".

"one skater of mass 71 kg had a velocity of 2.3 m/s [12° N of E]"
Okay, that skater's momentum vector is <71*2.3*cos(12),71*2.3*sin(12)> where I am taking the positive x-axis East and the positive y-axis North.

"the other skater had a velocity of 1.9 m/s [52° S of W]". This is the one with mass m so the momentum vector is <m*1.9*cos(52), m*1.9*sin(52)>

After the collision, "they have a common velocity of 0.85 m/s [27° S of E]" and their total mass is 71+m kg so their common momentum vector is <(71+m)*.85*cos(27), (71+m)*.85*sin(27)>.

"Conservation of momentum" means that the sum of the first two must equal the third:
<71*2.3*cos(12)+m*1.9*cos(52),71*2.3*sin(12)+m*1.9*sin(52)>= <(71+m)*.85*cos(27), (71+m)*.85*sin(27)>.

That really gives two equations for the single unknown, m:
71*2.3*cos(12)+m*1.9*cos(52)= (71+m)*.85*cos(27)
71*2.3*sin(12)+m*1.9*sin(52)= (71+m)*.85*sin(27)
so the problem is really "over-determined". You should be able to solve either of these equations for m and then check in the other one. If a value of m satisfies one equation but not the other, this is a BAD problem- it's physically impossible.

"If a value of m satisfies one equation but not the other, this is a BAD problem- it's physically impossible."
I would say that from a pedagogical side, this is a BAD problem, even if it happens to work out.
I do not think it is a good idea to make beginning students work on possibly overdetermined systems.

HallsofIvy said:
"one skater of mass 71 kg had a velocity of 2.3 m/s [12° N of E]"
Okay, that skater's momentum vector is <71*2.3*cos(12),71*2.3*sin(12)> where I am taking the positive x-axis East and the positive y-axis North.

"the other skater had a velocity of 1.9 m/s [52° S of W]". This is the one with mass m so the momentum vector is <m*1.9*cos(52), m*1.9*sin(52)>

Sorry, I do not know what [52° S of W] means. Does it mean that the velocity makes the angle of 52° with the negative x-axis in the terms that the positive x-axis points to East and the positive y-axis points to North? If so, than both px and py should be negative, shouldn't they?

After the collision, "they have a common velocity of 0.85 m/s [27° S of E]" and their total mass is 71+m kg so their common momentum vector is <(71+m)*.85*cos(27), (71+m)*.85*sin(27)>.

Not <(71+m)*.85*cos(27), - (71+m)*.85*sin(27)> instead?

With these changes, the numbers are about all right, but I agree that such a problem is a bad problem for the students.

ehild

Thanx a lot. It's still kinda cloudy, but u cleared it up a lot

1. What is the Ice Skater Momentum problem?

The Ice Skater Momentum problem is a physics problem that involves a skater gliding on ice and changing their momentum through various movements and actions.

2. How is momentum defined in the Ice Skater Momentum problem?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. In the Ice Skater Momentum problem, it refers to the skater's mass and their velocity as they move across the ice.

3. What factors affect the momentum of the ice skater?

The momentum of the ice skater is affected by their mass, velocity, and the force applied by the ice on their skates. The direction and duration of the force also play a role in the skater's momentum.

4. How can the Ice Skater Momentum problem be solved?

The Ice Skater Momentum problem can be solved by using the equation: momentum = mass x velocity. The mass and velocity of the skater can be measured or calculated, and the force can be estimated based on the skater's movements.

5. What real-life applications does the Ice Skater Momentum problem have?

The Ice Skater Momentum problem has many real-life applications, including understanding the movements of ice skaters and other athletes, analyzing collisions in sports, and designing safety equipment for athletes. It also has applications in engineering and transportation, such as calculating the momentum of a moving vehicle.