1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ice skaters speed of rotation

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1
    1. Two ice skaters, each with mass M = 72.5 kg, both moving with speed V = 9 m/s, approach each other along straight-line parallel paths that are separated by a distance of D = 3.6 m. When directly opposite each other, the skaters grab the ends of a light rod that is the same length as the distance between them. What is the initial speed of rotation of the joined skaters in rad/s?

2. Equations
    maybe use conservation of momentum to find vfinal
    m1vo+m2Vo=m1vf+m2vf
    then use ac=v^2/r
    r comes from d/2

3. this results in the incorrect answer. I'm unsure of how to solve this problem. Am I using the wrong equations?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

While conservation of linear momentum holds, that's not what you need for this problem. Hint: Translate their linear speed into angular speed about the center. (If you like, you can think of something else that is conserved.)

4. Jun 6, 2009 #3
    so the v=9m/s which when converted into radians is 9*2pi= 56.55rad/sec,
    then w=v/r,
    so w= 56.55/3.6= 15.7
    centripetal acceleration = r*w--> 3.6*15.7= 56.52m/s^2
    then I'm not sure- are they an inelastic collision that is spinning? but I have acceleration so that doesn't help.

5. Jun 6, 2009 #4

Doc Al

This isn't correct. Don't try to "convert" a linear speed into rad/s.
    That's what you need. Hint: The radius ≠ 3.6 m. (Where's the center?)

6. Jun 6, 2009 #5
    w=9/1.8=5
    then centripetal acceleration a=rw^2 = 5^2*1.8= 45m/s^2
    then could I use ac=v^2/r to get the velocity? No that can't be correct. I'm highly confused.

7. Jun 6, 2009 #6

Doc Al

Good.
    ω = v/r = (9 m/s)/(1.8 m) = 5 rad/s
    And you're done! No need to mess around with centripetal acceleration or any of that.

8. Jun 6, 2009 #7
    w- is the average velocity. Thanks for your help! Good thing someone enjoys physics.

9. Jun 6, 2009 #8

Doc Al

ω is the rotational speed, not the average velocity.
    You're welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook