Calculating Heat Required for Ice Cube Transformation

In summary, to change a 46.6 g ice cube from ice at -12.5°C to water at 53°C, a total of 21792.723J of heat is required. This can be calculated using the formula Q = cmt, where c is the specific heat capacity and m is the mass. Remember to use the correct specific heat capacity for each step of the process, with c_ice = 2090 J/kg°C and c_water = 4180 J/kg°C.
Boozehound
How much heat is required to change a 46.6 g ice cube from ice at -12.5°C to water at 53°C? (if necessary, use cice=2090 J/kg°C and csteam= 2010 J/kg°C)

then i used Q=cmt and Q=mL

Q=(2090)(.0466)(12.5)=1217.425J
Q=(.0466)(33.5E4)=15611J
Q=(2010)(.0466)(53)=4964.298J

then when i add all the numbers up i get 21792.723J total but the answer is wrong. i don't know if I am using the formulas in the wrong order or what. I've done these problems in chemistry but its been a couple years since i took one of those courses. any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You use C_water, not C_steam for the last calculation (C_water is 4180)

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with your calculations, but there are a few things that need to be adjusted.

First, when calculating the heat required for the ice cube to reach 0°C, you should use the specific heat of ice, not the specific heat of water. So the correct calculation would be Q = (2090)(0.0466)(12.5) = 1217.425 J.

Next, when calculating the heat required for the ice cube to melt, you should use the heat of fusion (L) instead of the specific heat. So the correct calculation would be Q = (0.0466)(334000) = 15556.4 J.

Finally, when calculating the heat required for the water to reach 53°C, you should use the specific heat of water, not the specific heat of steam. So the correct calculation would be Q = (2010)(0.0466)(53) = 4996.98 J.

When you add all of these values together, you should get a total heat of 21770.805 J, which is closer to the correct answer. The slight difference could be due to rounding errors.

I hope this helps. Keep in mind that when working with heat and temperature conversions, it's important to use the correct specific heat and heat of fusion values for the substances involved. Good luck with your calculations!

1. How do you calculate the heat required for ice cube transformation?

To calculate the heat required for ice cube transformation, you can use the formula Q = m * c * ΔT, where Q is the heat required, m is the mass of the ice cube, c is the specific heat capacity of water (4.186 J/g°C), and ΔT is the change in temperature from the initial ice temperature to the final temperature (usually 0°C to 100°C).

2. What units are used to measure heat required for ice cube transformation?

The units used to measure heat required for ice cube transformation are joules (J) or calories (cal). These units represent the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius.

3. How does the mass of the ice cube affect the heat required for transformation?

The mass of the ice cube directly affects the heat required for transformation. The larger the mass of the ice cube, the more heat is required to melt it. This is because more energy is needed to overcome the intermolecular forces holding the molecules of the ice cube together.

4. Why is the specific heat capacity of water used in the calculation?

The specific heat capacity of water is used in the calculation because it represents the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of water by 1 degree Celsius. This value is constant and allows for an accurate calculation of the heat required for ice cube transformation.

5. Can this formula be used for other substances besides water?

Yes, this formula can be used for other substances besides water. However, the specific heat capacity will vary for different substances and must be adjusted accordingly. The formula also assumes that the substance is undergoing a phase change from solid to liquid, so it may not be applicable for other types of transformations.