Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ice with microscope

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    hi every1

what do you see if you look at ice through a standard microscope? is the structure too small to be seen?

thanks

charlie

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Which structure- the crystalline atomic structure, the grain bounderies, the aggregations, the inclusions?

4. Apr 14, 2008 #3
    i meant the crystalline atomic structure, but would also be interested to know what the aggregations and the inclusions are.

5. Apr 15, 2008 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Structures below about 1/4 micron are too small to see with visible light, given a proper definition of 'see'. Depending on the specific ice sample, you may be able to determine the agglomerated structure, and could most likely see all the trapped air bubbles and dirt.

6. Apr 15, 2008 #5
    ok thanks! I've always wondered what makes the difference between cloudy and clear ice. Does it depend how quickly the ice is frozen?

7. Apr 16, 2008 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Good question- I don't know. All I know is that to get clear ice, one must degas the water. I guess if the ice feezes slowly enough, in the right geometry, the air can come out of solution and escape the liquid water.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?