Look at Ice Through a Microscope - Charlie

In summary, the conversation discusses the visibility of different structures in ice through a standard microscope. It is mentioned that structures below 1/4 micron are too small to see with visible light. The difference between cloudy and clear ice is also mentioned, with the possibility that it may depend on the speed of freezing and the degassing of water.
charlie69
hi every1

what do you see if you look at ice through a standard microscope? is the structure too small to be seen?

thanks

charlie

Physics news on Phys.org
Which structure- the crystalline atomic structure, the grain bounderies, the aggregations, the inclusions?

i meant the crystalline atomic structure, but would also be interested to know what the aggregations and the inclusions are.

Structures below about 1/4 micron are too small to see with visible light, given a proper definition of 'see'. Depending on the specific ice sample, you may be able to determine the agglomerated structure, and could most likely see all the trapped air bubbles and dirt.

ok thanks! I've always wondered what makes the difference between cloudy and clear ice. Does it depend how quickly the ice is frozen?

Good question- I don't know. All I know is that to get clear ice, one must degas the water. I guess if the ice feezes slowly enough, in the right geometry, the air can come out of solution and escape the liquid water.

What equipment do I need to look at ice through a microscope?

To view ice through a microscope, you will need a microscope, slides, cover slips, a dropper, and a light source. It is also helpful to have a polarizing filter to enhance the contrast of the ice crystals.

What type of ice can I observe under a microscope?

You can observe various types of ice under a microscope, including regular ice, frost, snowflakes, and frozen water droplets. Each type of ice has its unique crystal structure, which can be seen clearly under magnification.

What is the best magnification level to view ice crystals?

The best magnification level to view ice crystals is between 100x to 400x. This allows you to see the intricate details of the crystals without losing the overall structure of the ice.

What can I learn from looking at ice through a microscope?

Looking at ice through a microscope can reveal the crystal structure and formation of ice, which can provide insights into weather patterns and climate change. It can also help identify impurities or contaminants in ice samples.

How should I prepare the ice samples for microscopy?

To prepare ice samples for microscopy, place a small piece of ice on a slide and add a drop of water. Then, cover it with a cover slip to prevent the ice from melting and moving around. You can also use a freezer to freeze water droplets or frost onto a slide for observation.