1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ID a particle

1. Mar 23, 2004 #1
    why u should not skip steps

In a high-energy physics experiment, a subnuclear particle moves in a circular arc of 0.27-m radius perpendicular to a magnetic field of 2.7*10^-2 T. The kinetic energy of the particle is determined to be 4.1*10^16 J. Identify the particle from its mass. The masses of the electron, pion, and proton are 9.1*10^-31 kg, 2.5*10^-28 kg, and 1.67*10^-27 kg, respectively. Assume that the particle is known to have a positive charge equal to the magnitude of the electron charge.

Okay, so I know r= 0.27, B= 2.7*10^-2, q= 1.6*10^-19 C, and KE= 4.1*10^-16 J. Now I need to find mass to id the particle.
    [tex] KE = \frac{mv^2}{2} [/tex], so [tex] v = \sqrt{2m * (KE)} [/tex].
    [tex] r = \frac{mv}{qB} [/tex], and then I subbed in the v from the kinetic energy equation.
    [tex] r = \frac{m\sqrt{2m * (KE)}}{qB} [/tex]
    [tex] \frac{rqB}{\sqrt{2KE}} = m^{3/2} [/tex]
    m = 1.49*10^-9.

I really screwed this up didnt I? Was it a conceptual or a math error?
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2004 #2

So it was a dumb math error. Perfect example of why you shouldnt skip steps like I do.

[tex] KE = \frac{mv^2}{2} \rightarrow 2KE = mv^2 \rightarrow \frac{2KE}{m} = v^2 \rightarrow v = \sqrt{\frac{2KE}{m}} [/tex].

Remember guys, show all your work!
  4. Mar 23, 2004 #3
    By the way, the particle is a proton.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?