Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ID bullets with metal compounds

1. Jul 19, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok i got into an argument about the feasibility of this idea. For every bullet ever made from now on, put a metal composition inside of it that is unique to every single bullet produced.

0.09864 moles/g MgS
    0.00787 moles/g Ca2S
    0.01535 moles/g Cu4Zn3
    0.06772 moles/g Ti5Cd2

Bullet cases sold at Wal-Mart in Charleston, West Virginia to Richard Hammonds on 9/12/06.

Was the example "ID". Is this at all possible? Also what was included in the argument is how this would stand up in the real world after being actually fired from a barrel and after hitting a target. Also, for anyoen who has an answer... what are your credentials if ya dont mind.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2005 #2
    Good idea, but don't try to patent it- the trace elements that get mixed in
    by chance are already being used to do this.

Bullet makers keep archives of their melts for law enforcement to do this
    very thing.

4. Jul 21, 2005 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Caveat - they would do that by batch. To do it by bullet would be very inefficient, I would think.

5. Jul 21, 2005 #4
    A melt is an industrial term for a molten batch. (At least it is in the glass business.)
    Maybe it's called a "pour" in the metals world.

6. Jul 21, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

But coudl you create a seperate combonation for every single bullet you make (every bullet... billion+, not just every model) in mass productino?

7. Jul 21, 2005 #6
    You could but it would be expensive and unnecessary.

8. Jul 21, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How expensive and how unnecessary on say, a $.05 bullet. WOuld it have any real use in the real world to help stop crime/prosecute people easier?

9. Jul 21, 2005 #8
    It won't make it any easier than it already is.

If you tell me that 1000 boxes of ammo were sold with the same lead
    and 5 of those boxes were sold in my neighborhood, and I have a receipt for
    one of those 5 boxes and they pluck one of those bullets out of a terrorists's
    head, you can bet your bottom dollar it came out of my gun. You don't need
    to track each bullet to figure that out.

10. Jul 21, 2005 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Besides, it would be a manufacturing nightmare to even produce unique bullets, let alone try to catalogue the metallurgical composition of each individual bullet.

11. Jul 21, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well this guy i know seems to think it would be easy and wouldnt cost much at all and think its akin to DNA testing.

12. Jul 21, 2005 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Testing would be easy, since you'd only have to do it when there's been a murder. Actually making each bullet from a different alloy would be impossible to do on a commercial basis.

13. Jul 21, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes but unfortunatly we dont know anything that manufactors like the human body does in its uniqueness (sp?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?