Looking for a Beginner-Friendly QM Book?

• Thread starter Farn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, "The Odd Quantum" by Sam Treiman is a recommended book for beginners in quantum mechanics, with a focus on the problems with classical physics that led to its development. It provides a painless introduction, presenting basic equations with explanations but no derivations. It is an intermediate level book between popular treatments and introductory textbooks, written by an expert in the field.
Farn
Can anyone recommend a good book to start with? Preferable one that oriented towards teaching the QM newbie. It should discuss the problems with classical that led the development of quantum. I'd say I have a pretty good conceptual mind, but I'm not much of a mathematician.

Anything out there for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The most painless introduction I've seen is "the odd quantum" by sam treiman. Here's the link to amazon.

Great, painless is good.
On the other side though, about how in depth would you say it gets?

Originally posted by Farn
Great, painless is good.
On the other side though, about how in depth would you say it gets?

It's intermediate between popular treatments and introductory textbooks: Basic equations are presented with explanations but no derivations. It's a great little book written by a master. You won't be disappointed.

What is quantum mechanics and why is it important?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is important because it helps us understand and explain phenomena that classical mechanics cannot, such as the behavior of particles in a vacuum or the behavior of electrons in an atom.

What makes a quantum mechanics book beginner-friendly?

A beginner-friendly quantum mechanics book should have clear and concise explanations, avoid using complex mathematical equations, and provide real-world examples to help readers understand the concepts. It should also have a logical and organized structure to guide readers through the material.

Are there any recommended beginner-friendly quantum mechanics books?

Yes, some popular beginner-friendly quantum mechanics books include "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, and "Quantum Physics for Beginners" by Zbigniew Ficek.

Do I need a strong background in math to understand quantum mechanics?

While a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is helpful, many beginner-friendly quantum mechanics books do not require advanced mathematical knowledge. These books often provide explanations and examples in a way that is accessible to readers with limited mathematical background.

Can I learn quantum mechanics without a formal education in physics?

Yes, anyone can learn quantum mechanics with the right resources and dedication. While a background in physics can certainly be helpful, there are many beginner-friendly books and online resources available that provide clear explanations and examples to help non-experts understand the concepts of quantum mechanics.