Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ID manipulation to troll science forums

1. Aug 10, 2009 #1
    http://www.designinference.com/teaching/teaching.htm

If you disagree with these policies feel free to contact the "professors":

TA: jreed@ses.edu
    Instructor: wdembski@swbts.edu

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2009 #2
    junglebeast didn't say that, Dembski did. This should pose no problem for PF. Such posts tend to get deleted, particularly if they are confrontational. This makes them useless for the purpose to which they are to be put, both Dembski's purpose and that of his students.

4. Aug 10, 2009 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

'Intelligently Design' this...
    http://wuggawoo.com/images/aug-dec/avatars/BanButton.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Aug 10, 2009 #4

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

6. Aug 10, 2009 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I don't know where you're from, daniel_i_l, but here in the US, the evangelical movement has been using the term 'culture war' more and more vehemently in the past few years. There are many, many people in the US who feel that it is their duty to 'fight the good fight' and destroy secularism entirely.

- Warren

7. Aug 10, 2009 #6
    I actually have no problems with this since

1. It is a theological seminary, and a baptist one at that.( If there is one thing about Baptists, they sure are aggressively evangelical). Defending your faith for a grade is understandable.

2. Hopefully, online intelligent communities discussing evolution should be able to retaliate arguments from the popular ID which they attack("hostile"). If any community can attack a popular theory and not defend themselves if some theological student explains their convictions, then they deserve to be trolled.

Disclaimer: I do not believe in ID.

8. Aug 10, 2009 #7

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

'Undergrad course'? So is the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary an accredited university, which hands out degrees? I pity the students who're studying there.

9. Aug 10, 2009 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pah, try catholic school - mid term consisted of being thrown into a cage of lions.
    If you had done well - god would protect you.

10. Aug 10, 2009 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not many jobs requiring a degree in defending ID on internet forums.

11. Aug 10, 2009 #10
    This university, the "Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary," is accredited by the "Southern Association of Colleges and Schools" (which is recognized by the United States Department of Education), and also the "Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada" to award bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees.

I didn't know that schools could get accredited for preaching religious beliefs...that seems to fly in the face of the whole point of accreditation.

12. Aug 10, 2009 #11

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Lets hope they don't graduate many structural engineers.

13. Aug 10, 2009 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They offer a BA in Humanities or in Music for the undergrads. I imagine the majority of students are going into careers in the ministry.

14. Aug 10, 2009 #13
    I'm sure they have that covered, as well; (4) write a 3,000 word essay on how God will hold the bridge up.

15. Aug 10, 2009 #14

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Every single essay and opinion question I've ever answered in school allowed me to choose which side I wanted to defend. This included one that asked whether having a romantic relationship with a teacher is appropriate. Forcing students to choose a side is not education; it's brainwashing, and religion is better than anybody else at it.

16. Aug 10, 2009 #15
    Haven't reads ne of the posts yet just quickly went through the article... what the HELL kind of university IS this? Never in my life did I know that you could get a DOCTORATE for preaching. No wonder when you go to church they have a new 'well studied' (since they are a dr. of course) PhD to tell you how wrong all the other religions are and how some day soon they will all join each other in a bad way. (Seriously at a church I went to they said this about muslims MOSTLY)

This stuff is not, in my opinion, education... merely another form of indoctrination.

17. Aug 10, 2009 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think these students have pretty much decided "which side they want to defend" before entering the Theological Seminary. o:)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  18. Aug 10, 2009 #17
    What would be really funny is a student who was forced to go to this school by his parents, then refused to do this assignment based on moral grounds, was failed because of it, and then sued the school :biggrin:

19. Aug 10, 2009 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can get doctorates in anything nowadays.

20. Aug 10, 2009 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seriously? You've never heard of a seminary before? Or a doctorate in theology? How did you think preachers got to be preachers? Believe it or not, they get an education in religion, things like reading classic languages, biblical studies, all the other ancient texts that go into the building of religions, probably some psychology since they do a lot of counseling, etc.

21. Aug 10, 2009 #20
    even Harvard has a divinity school

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook