Is it possible to create a cloaking device using phonon modes in light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of glass being transparent due to the transfer of energy from photons to inner atoms via phonons. However, this theory may not apply to all crystals and it is the photon that is being transported through the medium, not phonons. The idea of using phonons to create an invisibility fabric is also mentioned. The conversation then touches on the relationship between photons and phonon modes and whether they can interfere with each other. The expert clarifies that the photons do not create phonon modes.
skywolf
would this work?

first of all, i need to know if my reasons for glass being transparent are correct. glass is a crystal, therefore, when the outermost atoms are hit by lthe first photons, the energy, by way of phonons is transferred to the inner atoms as well. when the second photons come by, theyre like "this atom has already been hit by photons and it doesn't fit my vibrational pattern any more" and so they keep going.

now this theory makes sense to most crystals, but I am sure they arent all transparent, just like they don't all perfectly tune into the photons vibrational pattern (wavelenght)

i was wondering if that made any sence, and if so, could you make some sort of fabric that when hit by light, sent phonons into the substance it covered therefore rendering it invisible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please read the FAQ in this section of PF.

Zz.

yeah, i read it before, i guess this is my way of trying to understand it, i was wondering if it made any sence.

"Phonons" exist not just due to one, two, 12, 240, etc. ions in the lattice. It exists due to ALL of them within the crystal. So one can't say that phonons are "transfered" to the inner atoms. It doesn't make much sense. Either that vibrational mode exists, or it doesn't.

It is the photon that is being transported through the medium, not phonons. The existence of phonon modes dictates if the medium can absorb that photon and converts the energy to vibration/heat.

Zz.

so if i could "induce" the right kind of phonon mode in myself, would i become invisible?

new question

if the photons are making phonon modes, why don't the phonon modes interfere with each other?
i mean if light is coming at glass in one direction and the other one, would it ever interfere with itself?

skywolf said:
new question

if the photons are making phonon modes, why don't the phonon modes interfere with each other?
i mean if light is coming at glass in one direction and the other one, would it ever interfere with itself?

Correction! The photons do NOT "make" phonon modes.

Zz.

1. What is a cloaking device?

A cloaking device is a technology that is used to make an object or person appear invisible or undetectable to the naked eye or certain types of detection equipment. It works by manipulating light waves and bending them around the object, making it seem as though the object is not there.

2. How does a cloaking device work?

A cloaking device works by utilizing principles of physics and optics to manipulate light waves. The device uses specialized materials, such as metamaterials, to bend and redirect light around the object, making it invisible. This process is known as "cloaking" and is similar to how a mirage works in the desert.

3. Is cloaking technology currently being used?

While there have been advances in cloaking technology in recent years, it is not yet widely used. Most current research is focused on creating small-scale cloaking devices for specific objects, such as microscopic particles or small objects like a paperclip. The technology is still in the early stages of development and has not been implemented on a larger scale.

4. What are the potential applications of a cloaking device?

A cloaking device has many potential applications, both in military and civilian settings. In the military, it could be used to hide vehicles or personnel from enemy detection. In civilian life, it could be used to create more efficient and inconspicuous surveillance equipment or to develop new forms of camouflage for hunting or wildlife observation.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding cloaking technology?

As with any new technology, there are potential ethical concerns surrounding the development and use of cloaking devices. Some worry that it could be used for malicious purposes, such as spying or theft. There are also concerns about the impact of cloaking technology on privacy and whether it could be used to violate individuals' rights. It is important for scientists and policymakers to consider these ethical implications as they continue to develop this technology.