Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Idea for cloaking device

1. Apr 14, 2006 #1
    would this work?

first of all, i need to know if my reasons for glass being transparent are correct. glass is a crystal, therefore, when the outermost atoms are hit by lthe first photons, the energy, by way of phonons is transfered to the inner atoms as well. when the second photons come by, theyre like "this atom has already been hit by photons and it doesnt fit my vibrational pattern any more" and so they keep going.

now this theory makes sence to most crystals, but im sure they arent all transparent, just like they dont all perfectly tune in to the photons vibrational pattern (wavelenght)

i was wondering if that made any sence, and if so, could you make some sort of fabric that when hit by light, sent phonons into the substance it covered therefore rendering it invisible?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2006 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Please read the FAQ in this section of PF.

Zz.

4. Apr 14, 2006 #3
    yeah, i read it before, i guess this is my way of trying to understand it, i was wondering if it made any sence.

5. Apr 14, 2006 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

"Phonons" exist not just due to one, two, 12, 240, etc. ions in the lattice. It exists due to ALL of them within the crystal. So one can't say that phonons are "transfered" to the inner atoms. It doesn't make much sense. Either that vibrational mode exists, or it doesn't.

It is the photon that is being transported through the medium, not phonons. The existence of phonon modes dictates if the medium can absorb that photon and converts the energy to vibration/heat.

Zz.

6. Apr 15, 2006 #5
    so if i could "induce" the right kind of phonon mode in myself, would i become invisible?

7. Apr 16, 2006 #6

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

8. Apr 17, 2006 #7
    new question

if the photons are making phonon modes, why dont the phonon modes interfere with each other?
    i mean if light is coming at glass in one direction and the other one, would it ever interfere with itself?

9. Apr 17, 2006 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Correction! The photons do NOT "make" phonon modes.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?