Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Idea for paper on the scientific revolution

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1
    I'm currently taking a course called 'the scientific revolution' and I have to write a paper (~4500 words) for it. The subject can be pretty broad, it doesn't neccesarily have to do with the scientific revolution, there's some room for improvisation. Now I was thinking, what about a paper that explores the way 'infinity' has been viewed throughout the ages? Is that something I could write 4500 words about and I can find enough documentation for? If so, anyone have any tips for me regarding books/papers or things like that? Also, what would be a good central question? 'How has infinity been viewed through the ages?' will surely not be satisfactory for my teacher.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2009 #2
    That seems like a rather dense/dry/complex paper for someone who's not versed in advanced mathematics. Wiki Georg Cantor and Aleph-Null and see if that subject still interests you. If so then ya, I could give you some sources.

4. Jun 10, 2009 #3
    George Gamow wrote a book many years ago (1947) titled "One Two Three... Infinity" discussing a similar subject. Amazon has used copies under $10.00

5. Jun 11, 2009 #4
    Thanks for the tips, I looked around some more and it doesn't really seem like a feasible subject after all. That book by George Gamow seems interesting though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook