Idea for paper on the scientific revolution

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is taking a course on the scientific revolution and is looking for a topic for their paper. They consider exploring the concept of infinity throughout history, but realize it may be too complex for their level of understanding. They receive suggestions to look into the works of Georg Cantor and Aleph-Null, as well as a book by George Gamow titled "One Two Three... Infinity." Ultimately, the student decides to look for a different topic.
Shukie
I'm currently taking a course called 'the scientific revolution' and I have to write a paper (~4500 words) for it. The subject can be pretty broad, it doesn't neccesarily have to do with the scientific revolution, there's some room for improvisation. Now I was thinking, what about a paper that explores the way 'infinity' has been viewed throughout the ages? Is that something I could write 4500 words about and I can find enough documentation for? If so, anyone have any tips for me regarding books/papers or things like that? Also, what would be a good central question? 'How has infinity been viewed through the ages?' will surely not be satisfactory for my teacher.

Physics news on Phys.org
That seems like a rather dense/dry/complex paper for someone who's not versed in advanced mathematics. Wiki Georg Cantor and Aleph-Null and see if that subject still interests you. If so then ya, I could give you some sources.

George Gamow wrote a book many years ago (1947) titled "One Two Three... Infinity" discussing a similar subject. Amazon has used copies under $10.00

Thanks for the tips, I looked around some more and it doesn't really seem like a feasible subject after all. That book by George Gamow seems interesting though.

What is the scientific revolution?

The scientific revolution refers to a period in history, roughly from the 16th to 18th centuries, where there was a significant shift in scientific thought and practice. During this time, traditional beliefs and methods were challenged and replaced with new scientific ideas, leading to advancements in fields such as astronomy, physics, and biology.

What were the main causes of the scientific revolution?

The scientific revolution was influenced by a combination of factors, including the Renaissance, which sparked a renewed interest in classical knowledge and critical thinking; the Protestant Reformation, which challenged traditional religious authority; and advancements in technology, such as the printing press, which allowed for the widespread dissemination of scientific ideas.

Who were some of the key figures of the scientific revolution?

Some of the most notable figures of the scientific revolution include Nicolaus Copernicus, who proposed the heliocentric model of the universe; Galileo Galilei, who made significant discoveries in physics and astronomy; Isaac Newton, who developed the laws of motion and gravity; and Francis Bacon, who advocated for the use of scientific experimentation and observation.

What were some major advancements made during the scientific revolution?

The scientific revolution led to a number of groundbreaking discoveries and advancements, including the laws of motion and gravity, the development of the scientific method, the understanding of the circulatory system, and the invention of the microscope. It also paved the way for modern scientific disciplines, such as chemistry and biology.

How did the scientific revolution impact society?

The scientific revolution had a profound impact on society. It challenged traditional beliefs and authority, paving the way for the Age of Enlightenment and the rise of modern science. It also led to advancements in technology and medicine, as well as a greater emphasis on reason and critical thinking. However, it also sparked conflicts between science and religion, which continue to this day.