Idea - if it's not hard to implement

• Thread starter rachmaninoff
  • Start date
In summary, There's a feature in PF right now that prevents users from posting the identically same post twice within a particular thread. However, this feature does not seem to be working properly. The suggestion is to extend this feature to the entire board in order to mitigate two problems: (i) confusion caused by homework questions being posted multiple times in different subforums, and (ii) spamming by posting the same content rapidly at late hours. However, there may be concerns about the performance impact of implementing this feature. It may require a full table scan each time a new thread or reply is posted, but it could potentially be optimized by checking only the most recent posts by the same user. It is also suggested to use checksums or
rachmaninoff
There's a feature in PF right now that prevents users from posting the identically same post twice within a particular thread. (edit: I tried it and it doesn't work! Was it removed recently?) If it were a feasible task to extend this to the whole board - it would mitigate two different problems:

(i) Homework questions, copied & pasted onto five different subforums, causing confusion and the merging of threads; and

(ii) Spammers, copying & pasting spam at high speed - they sometimes go on rampages around 2:00-4:00 AM (when the mods are asleep...) and leave PF defiled until the morning hours; :grumpy: this would undermine that particular tactic. In fact there's one spammer doing that right now as I type - the soon-to-be-banned "John Varta" was my inspiration for this post.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting idea. However, neither problems you've expressed are serious, but this is an option if they do. Also I see a problem with performance. Each time someone posted a new thread or reply a full table scan would be required.

Last edited:
Also I see a problem with performance. Each time someone posted a new thread or reply a full table scan would be required.

Would it though? It would only be needed to check the very most recent posts by the same user - and that history is already collected in the current system (the "view recent posts by *** " function). AFAIK it's computationally easy to compare short text files like PF posts?

checksums, hashes, should work CRC and things like that... but for example "bUT" is diferent that "bUt", then if the spammer have a app for do that, (tought the reading of the message will become mess), the hashes would difer... tought, before you pass the string to the functions, perhaps would be good to pass it to a function that lowercase the message, then do the checksum,hash, etc. and add the check sum to a table..., then do a fast comparation of hash via the data base fast search...

1. What is the definition of "Idea - if it's not hard to implement" in scientific terms?

"Idea - if it's not hard to implement" refers to a concept or thought that has the potential to be put into action with relative ease and minimal resources. It is often associated with innovative ideas that can be executed without significant obstacles or challenges.

2. How do scientists determine if an idea is easy to implement?

Scientists evaluate the feasibility of an idea by conducting research, experiments, and simulations to assess the potential obstacles and resources required for implementation. They also consider the current state of technology and available resources to determine the difficulty level of implementing the idea.

3. What are some factors that can make an idea difficult to implement?

Some factors that can make an idea difficult to implement include limited resources, technological limitations, lack of expertise or knowledge, and potential social or environmental impacts. The complexity and scope of the idea can also contribute to its difficulty in implementation.

4. Can an idea be easy to implement at one point in time but become difficult later on?

Yes, an idea can be easy to implement at a certain point in time due to various factors such as technological advancements, available resources, and societal support. However, as circumstances change, the idea may become more difficult to implement due to new challenges and limitations.

5. How can the ease of implementation of an idea impact its success?

The ease of implementation can significantly impact the success of an idea. If an idea is easy to implement, it is more likely to be put into action and achieve its intended goals. On the other hand, if an idea is difficult to implement, it may face obstacles and challenges that can hinder its success.

Back