Separating Variables in a Nonlinear Differential Equation

• Thread starter prace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary: That looks like it might be it!In summary, the problem is trying to integrate \frac{dx}{(1-x^2)}, but appears to be easier with partial fractions.
prace
Problem: [tex](y-yx^2)\frac{dy}{dx} = (y+1)^2[/tex]

So, the first thing I tried was just dividing the whole equation by [tex](y-yx^2)[/tex] and then factored out the y to get [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{(y+1)^2}{y(1-x^2)}[/tex]. Next I expanded the numerator on the right side of the equation and then split them all into idividual fractions to get:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y}{1-x^2}+\frac{2}{1-x^2}+\frac{1}{y(1-x^2)}[/tex].

I just don't see how I can go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so I worked it out some more and got [tex]\frac{ydy}{(y+1)^2} = \frac{dx}{(1-x^2)}[/tex]

Is this correct?

prace said:
Ok, so I worked it out some more and got [tex]\frac{ydy}{(y+1)^2} = \frac{dx}{(1-x^2)}[/tex]

Is this correct?

Yes, that looks right to me

Cool Thanks. So I worked this one out and got the left hand side of the equation, but I can seem to get the integration on the right.

[tex]\frac{ydy}{(y+1)^2} => \frac{dx}{(1-x^2)} = \int{\frac{ydy}{(y+1)^2}} = \int{\frac{dx}{(1-x^2)}}[/tex]

so, [tex]ln|y+1|+\frac{1}{y+1} = \int{\frac{dx}{(1-x^2)}}[/tex]

what can I do with this one?

* For some reason on my screen the y integral keeps showing up in the post even though it is not in the LaTex. So, if you see it too, please disregard the middle term that reads [tex]\int{\frac{ydy}{(y+1)^2}}[/tex] in the last part of the problem. Thanks

Last edited:
prace said:
Cool Thanks. So I worked this one out and got the left hand side of the equation, but I can seem to get the integration on the right.

[tex]\frac{ydy}{(y+1)^2} => \frac{dx}{(1-x^2)} = \int{\frac{ydy}{(y+1)^2}} = \int{\frac{dx}{(1-x^2)}}[/tex]

so, [tex]ln|y+1|+\frac{1}{y+1} = \int{\frac{dx}{(1-x^2)}}[/tex]

what can I do with this one?

Thats not the correct integral of the LHS. Have you come across the method of partial fractions?

Yes I have worked with partial fractions a little bit, but I don't see how it applies to this one. I don't mean to second guess you, but are you sure the LHS is not correct? I worked it out again and got the same answer and my TI-89 gives the same answer as well.

prace said:
Yes I have worked with partial fractions a little bit, but I don't see how it applies to this one. I don't mean to second guess you, but are you sure the LHS is not correct? I worked it out again and got the same answer and my TI-89 gives the same answer as well.

I get a factor 1/2, but it might just be me. How did you integrate that by hand without using partial fraction, just out of curiosity?! EDIT: the factor 1/2 is just me! sorry

For the x integral, consider the denominator (1-x^2). This can be written as
(1+x)(1-x). So, if you can express [tex] \frac{1}{1-x^2} [/tex] as a sum[tex] \frac{a}{1+x}+\frac{b}{1-x} [/tex] then this can be integrated directly

Last edited:
Thanks, I will try that out. To get the LHS w/o partial fractions:

[tex]\int{\frac{ydy}{(y+1)^2}}[/tex]

let u = y+1, du = dy, and y = u-1

So, [tex]\int{\frac{(u-1)}{(u)^2}du}[/tex]

=

[tex]\int{\frac{u}{u^2}-\frac{1}{u^2}du} [/tex]

=

[tex] ln|u| + \frac{1}{u}[/tex]

Substitute y+1 for u and get [tex]ln|y+1|+\frac{1}{y+1}[/tex]

Last edited:
prace said:
Thanks, I will try that out. To get the LHS w/o partial fractions:

[tex]\int{\frac{ydy}{(y+1)^2}}[/tex]

let u = y+1, du = dy, and y = u-1

So, [tex]\int{\frac{(u-1)}{(u)^2}du} = \int{\frac{u}{u^2}-\frac{1}{u^2}du} = ln|u| + \frac{1}{u}[/tex]

Substitute y+1 for u and get [tex]ln|y+1|+\frac{1}{y+1}[/tex]

Ahh, ok, nice. I didn't spot that! I would generally use partial fractions for expressions like that, but looks like the sub'n is simpler there!

Oh man, haha.. I like the substitution method, but I am not too keen on the trig substitution. Although, this one seems pretty nice for that. Do you mind taking a look at my partial fraction work? I need some practice with it so I was wondering if I did it correctly.

[tex]\int{\frac{dx}{(1-x^2)}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{(1+x)(1-x)}=\frac{A}{1+x}+\frac{B}{1-x}[/tex]

So, B and A both = (1/2)

Then the solution to the integral is:
[tex]\frac{ln|1+x|}{2}+\frac{ln|1-x|}{2}[/tex]

Thanks!

What is the "Idea of how to separate?"

The "Idea of how to separate" refers to a proposed method or concept that can be used to divide or distinguish different entities or components from each other.

Why is the "Idea of how to separate" important?

The "Idea of how to separate" is important because it allows us to categorize and organize information, materials, or substances in a more efficient and effective way. It also helps us to understand the relationships between different elements and to analyze complex systems.

What are some common methods used to separate things?

Some common methods used to separate things include filtration, distillation, chromatography, centrifugation, and magnetism. Each method works by exploiting the unique properties of the substances being separated.

How do scientists come up with new ideas for separation?

Scientists come up with new ideas for separation through research, experimentation, and collaboration with other scientists. They also often draw inspiration from nature and existing technologies to develop innovative methods of separation.

What are some challenges in separating certain substances?

Some challenges in separating certain substances include their similar physical or chemical properties, the presence of impurities, and the high cost or complexity of the separation process. Developing new and improved methods of separation can help overcome these challenges.