1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal and Factor Ring

1. Apr 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) If A is an ideal of R and B is an ideal of S.
    Show that A x B is an ideal of R x S.

b) Show that every ideal C of RxS has the form C = AxB as in(a)
    [hint: A = { a in R | (a,0) in C}]

3. The attempt at a solution
    a)Since A and B are ideal of R and S, aR and Ra are subsets of A, bS and Sb are subsets of B.
    Let (a,b) in AxB and (r,s) in RxS, (a,b)(r,s) = (ar,bs) in AxB since ar in A and bs in B.

b) Let A = { a in R | (a,0) in C} and
    B = { b in S | (0,b) in C}
    We need to show that AxB = <(a,0),(0,b)>.
    my idea is correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2
    (a) looks good if you already have a theorem that A x B is a ring. If you don't have that theorem, then don't forget to do that routine step.

For (b), you have to show [tex]A\times B\subset C[/tex] and [tex]C\subset A\times B[/tex]

I regard [tex]A\times B=\langle(a,0),(0,b)\rangle\subset C[/tex] as the easier direction because you only need to use the fact that C is a ring. Really there's nothing to show.

To prove [tex]C\subset A\times B[/tex], I think you need to use the facts that C is an ideal and furthermore that R and S have identities. (Are you allowed to assume R and S have identities? I hope so.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook