Ideal Bose condensation gas in gravitational field, Statistical Physic

In summary: N = \frac{4 \pi g_0 S (2m k T_c)^{3/2}k T_c}{h^3 mg} \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}} \frac{e^{-\frac{z'^2}{2}}}{z'} Evaluating this integral at the upper limit, we get N = \frac{2 \pi^{3/2} g_0 S (2m k T_c)^{3/2}k T_c}{h^3 mg} We can then solve for the critical temperature, T_c, by setting N equal to the total number
dpopchev

Homework Statement

We have an ideal Bose gas in gravitational field. Show that the critical temperature( the temperature in which the condensation is starting is:
[itex] T_c = T^0_c( 1 + \frac{8}{9} \frac{1}{ζ(3/2)} (\frac{\pi mgh}{kT^0_c})^{1/2} ) [/itex]

Attempt
Lege artis; Firstly I want to estimate the number [itex] N [/itex] of particles in that [itex] T_c [/itex] temperature. As we know at that state the chemical potential is zero so [itex] \mu = 0 [/itex], so the average number of particles will be given by the Bose - Einstein distribution
[itex] n_{mean} = \frac{1}{e^{ε/kT_c}-1} [/itex]
I want to find all that particles in such state, so I form an integral over the volume in which the gas is( we assume it is a container with axial symmetry, with area of the circle [itex] S [/itex] and hight [itex] L [/itex] ) and over all possible energy states. I will skip the mathematical formulation and give the integral I need to evaluate:
[itex] N = 4 \pi g_0 S h^{-3} \int_0^{∞} dp \int_0^L dz \frac{p^2}{e^{ \frac{p^2}{2 m k T_c} - \frac{mgz}{kT_c} } - 1 } [/itex]
where [itex] S [/itex] is area of the circle for the cylinder, [itex] g_0 = 2s + 1 [/itex] is the number of states and [itex] h [/itex] is the Planck constant
After changing the variables I get [itex] \frac{ 4 \pi g_0 S (2mkT_c)^{3/2}kT_c}{h^3mg} \int^{∞}_0 dp' \int^{\frac{mgL}{kT_c}}_0 \frac{1}{e^{p'^2}e^{-z'}-1} [/itex]
I have no idea how to handle this integral:
I just get the [itex] e^{z'} [/itex] out and get [itex] \int \frac{e^{z'}}{e^{p'^2}-e^{z'}} [/itex] which leads to something like [itex] \int p'^2 ln(\frac{e^{p'^2} - e^{CL}}{e^{p'^2} - 1 } dp' [/itex] on which my best attempt was [itex] \int ln(\frac{e^{p'^2} - e^{CL}}{e^{p'^2} - 1 } \frac{dp'^3}{3} = \frac{p'^3}{3}.ln(...) - ...[/itex] and the first is in range of [itex] 0 [/itex] which is a problematic dot and [itex] ∞ [/itex] which doesn't seem pretty too.
I hope for my post to be accurate enough. Thanks in advance.

PS: I found the same problem but it can't help me to solve the integral
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=455803

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Attempt at a SolutionWe have an ideal Bose gas in gravitational field. Show that the critical temperature( the temperature in which the condensation is starting is: T_c = T^0_c( 1 + \frac{8}{9} \frac{1}{ζ(3/2)} (\frac{\pi mgh}{kT^0_c})^{1/2} ) Solution: We can use the Bose-Einstein distribution to calculate the average number of particles, N, at the critical temperature, T_c. The Bose-Einstein distribution states that the average number of particles at temperature T is given by N = \frac{1}{e^{\frac{\epsilon}{kT}} - 1}where \epsilon is the energy of the particle. We can then use this to calculate the total number of particles in the system by integrating over the volume and energy states. The integral is given by N = 4 \pi g_0 S h^{-3} \int_0^{∞} dp \int_0^L dz \frac{p^2}{e^{\frac{p^2}{2m k T_c} - \frac{mgz}{kT_c}} - 1} where g_0 = 2s + 1 is the number of states, S is the area of the cylinder, and h is the Planck constant. By changing variables we can rewrite the integral as N = \frac{4 \pi g_0 S (2m k T_c)^{3/2}k T_c}{h^3 mg} \int_{0}^{\infty} dp' \int_{0}^{\frac{mgL}{kT_c}} \frac{1}{e^{p'^2}e^{-z'} - 1} We can then use the fact that \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{z'}}{e^{p'^2}-e^{z'}} dp' = \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}} \frac{

1. What is the Ideal Bose condensation gas in gravitational field?

The Ideal Bose condensation gas in gravitational field is a theoretical model used to study the behavior of a large number of bosonic particles under the influence of a gravitational field. It is a fundamental concept in statistical physics and is used to understand the properties of systems such as superfluids and superconductors.

2. How does the gravitational field affect the Bose-Einstein condensate?

The presence of a gravitational field can cause a Bose-Einstein condensate to expand, leading to changes in its density and temperature. This effect is known as the gravitational redshift and is a consequence of the particles in the condensate being accelerated by the gravitational potential.

3. What is the significance of studying Ideal Bose condensation gas in gravitational field?

Studying the Ideal Bose condensation gas in gravitational field can provide insights into the behavior of systems at extreme conditions, such as in the early universe or in the vicinity of black holes. It also has practical applications in fields such as condensed matter physics and cosmology.

4. How is the Ideal Bose condensation gas in gravitational field different from the Ideal Bose gas?

The Ideal Bose gas is a simplified model that does not take into account the effects of gravity, while the Ideal Bose condensation gas in gravitational field considers the influence of a gravitational field on the particles. This can lead to significant differences in the behavior and properties of the two systems.

5. What are the implications of Bose-Einstein condensation in a gravitational field?

Bose-Einstein condensation in a gravitational field can lead to novel phenomena such as the formation of exotic states of matter, such as superfluids and supersolids. It also has implications for the understanding of fundamental physics concepts such as symmetry breaking and phase transitions.