Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal classes in the ring of integers in quadratic number fields

1. Jun 5, 2009 #1
    So I've been working through some algebraic number theory and there is a problem asking me to describe the ideals in the following rings.

a) The ring of algebraic integers in $Q[\sqrt{-3}]$ call it $R$ or equivalently $Z[\frac{1}{2}(1+\sqrt{-3})]$ where $Z$ is the ring of ordinary integers.

I say they are either the principle ideals generated by an element of minimum modulus $\alpha$. Otherwise it isn't a principle ideal and we can describe it's lattice basis: $(\alpha, \frac{1}{2}\alpha(1+\sqrt{-3})$. These are the only two possiblities, am i correct? I could reproduce the argument but it relies too much on machinery developed in Artin's Algebra text (specifically chapter 11) to be self-contained here.

b) Here we are looking at the ideals in the integers adjoin the root of negative six. That is the ideals in $Z[\sqrt{-6}]$. Let $I$ and $\alpha$ be as in (a) then either the ideal is principle generated by $\alpha$ or it isn't and there are two possiblities:

the lattice basis for $I$ is $(\alpha, \frac{1}{2}\alpha\delta)$ where $\delta =\sqrt{-6}$. Otherwise it is $(\alpha, \frac{1}{2}(\alpha+\delta\alpha))$. In other words the class number here is three.

This is difficult to get feedback on as I'm working on my own. So any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted