Ideal gas and absolute zero

In summary, the ideal gas approximation is very accurate for air near room temperature, up to at least -100 degrees Celsius. The accepted value for absolute zero is -273C, while the experimental value calculated was -72.18C. The large difference between the two values may indicate an error in the calculations.
hover

Homework Statement

Calculate your experimental value of absolute zero , how does your experimental value compare to the theoretical value -273C?

Homework Equations

T_abs=(S1*T2-S2*T1)/(S1-S2)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is all part of a lab. I'm not asking people to do any calculations. I'm more worried about my calculations from what I got and I'm pretty sure I did them correctly. The accepted value for absolute zero is -273C. The value I got when calculating was -72.18 C. My question is can air be treated as an ideal gas so that the calculation on absolute zero is possible? If air can't be treated as an ideal gas then it would explain the huge difference in my value vs the accepted value.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The ideal gas approximation is VERY good for air near room temperature. I'd say it's extremely accurate up to at least -100 degrees Celsius.

ideasrule said:
The ideal gas approximation is VERY good for air near room temperature. I'd say it's extremely accurate up to at least -100 degrees Celsius.

So that means I did something wrong right?

Yes, I'd say so. You should be able to get a reasonable value (within 50 degrees or so of the actual answer).

ideasrule said:
Yes, I'd say so. You should be able to get a reasonable value (within 50 degrees or so of the actual answer).

ok. thanks for letting me know

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the gas laws perfectly. It is assumed to have no volume and no intermolecular forces, and its particles are considered to be point masses that do not interact with each other.

2. What are the gas laws?

The gas laws are a set of laws that describe the behavior of gases under different conditions. These laws include Boyle's law, Charles's law, Gay-Lussac's law, and Avogadro's law.

3. What is absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature, where all molecular motion ceases. It is equivalent to 0 Kelvin, -273.15 degrees Celsius, and -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit.

4. How does temperature affect the behavior of an ideal gas?

According to Charles's law, at a constant pressure, the volume of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its temperature. As the temperature increases, the gas particles move faster and occupy a larger volume.

5. Can an ideal gas ever reach absolute zero?

No, an ideal gas cannot reach absolute zero because it is a theoretical concept. In reality, all gases have some volume and intermolecular forces, so they will always have some residual energy and cannot reach absolute zero.