1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal gas and final temperature

1. Dec 10, 2003 #1
    I have the question, "Heat is added to an ideal gas at 20 degrees C. If the internal energy of the gas increases by a factor of three - what is the final temperature (in degrees C) round off to the nearest whole number?"

I know U=3/2NkT or U= 3/2nRT
    I see I have 3U and I need to convert 20 degrees C to 293.15K, all the other units are the same. I know k = 1.38 X 10^-23 and somewhere it says what R is. I thought if I set the same equation = to each other I could get the answer, 3(3/2 * k * T)= 3/2 * k * T, but I'm not getting anything feasible. What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Carissa

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2003 #2
    In U=3/2nKT, only T is a variable, all other quantities are constant. So if U~T, is you triple the internal energy what happens to T? Well if 3/2nK is a constant, the number of molecules doesn't change so this should be true, what happens to T? That is the question you should be asking yourself.
    Cheers,
    Ryan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?