Solving Ideal Gas & Spring Problem

In summary, the problem involves a gas filling part of a horizontal cylinder and a movable piston separating it from an evacuated portion containing an ideal spring. The gas expands and the length of the chamber doubles, with equal initial and final temperatures. To determine the spring constant, the equation F = kx is used with the area of the cylinder and the work done by the gas in an isothermal expansion.
BlackMamba
Hi there,

I have a problem that I believe I am doing correctly, but my answer proves otherwise. I was hoping someone could take a look and let me know where I'm going wrong.

Here's the problem: A gas fills the right portion of a horizontal cylinder whose radius is 5.10cm. The initial pressure of the gas is 1.01x10^5 Pa. A frictionless movable piston separates the gas from the left portion of the cylinder, which is evacuated and contains an ideal spring. The piston is initially held in place by a pin. The spring is initially unstrained, and the length of the gas-filled portion is 18.0cm. When the pin is removed and the gas is allowed to expand, the length of the gas-filled chamber doubles. The initial and final temperatures are equal. Determine the spring constant of the spring.

So here's what I've done. The final equation that I'm going to need to get to is the ole F = kx equation. And since the length doubles it would probably look something like F = k[2(x)]

But alas I'm missing F and I believe x after converting to meters would be 0.180m.

So I have a Pressure and radius. With the radius I found the area using A = (pie)r^2

Now I have an Area.

From there I used the equation P = F/A to find F. And once getting F I went back to my initial equation plugging in F and solving for k. But my answer is not correct. I was almost sure this was how to solve this problem, but I guess not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy stored in the spring after it is compressed to a distance x is

[tex]\frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

This is equal to the work done on it by the gas due to its expansion. So, to calculate the work done by the gas, use the equation for work done by the gas in an isothermal expansion.

[tex]W=nRTln\frac{v_f}{v_i}[/tex]

where [tex] nRT=p_iV_i[/tex]
Hope that helps!

spacetime
www.geocities.com/physics_all

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out for help with this problem. It looks like you have a good understanding of the concepts involved, but there may be a few small errors in your calculations.

First, when finding the area of the cylinder, make sure to use the radius in meters, not centimeters. So the area would be A = π(0.051m)^2 = 0.0082m^2.

Next, when using the equation P = F/A, make sure to use the pressure in Pascals (Pa), not kilopascals (kPa). So the force would be F = (1.01x10^5 Pa)(0.0082m^2) = 828 N.

Now, when finding the spring constant, you will need to use the equation F = kx, where F is the force you just calculated and x is the change in length of the spring. Since the length of the gas-filled chamber doubles, the change in length would be 0.180m (final length) - 0.090m (initial length) = 0.090m. So the spring constant would be k = F/x = 828 N/0.090m = 9200 N/m.

I hope this helps and clarifies any confusion. Keep up the good work and keep practicing!

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical concept in which the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other. This means that they do not experience any intermolecular forces and follow the gas laws perfectly.

2. How do you solve ideal gas problems?

To solve ideal gas problems, you need to use the ideal gas law equation: PV = nRT. Here, P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. You also need to make sure to convert all units to the appropriate SI units.

3. What is a spring constant?

A spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the letter k and is measured in units of newtons per meter (N/m). It determines how much force is needed to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

4. How do you calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement caused by that force. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force, and x is the displacement.

5. How do ideal gas and spring problems relate?

Ideal gas and spring problems can be related by using the ideal gas law to calculate the pressure and volume of a gas inside a container with a spring. The pressure of the gas can cause the spring to compress or expand, and the spring constant can be used to determine the displacement of the spring due to this pressure. This can be used to solve problems involving gases in a closed container with a spring.