1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal gas assumptions

1. Aug 29, 2009 #1
    I was wondering if it assumed the gas could not turn into a liquid?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2009 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You need to be a bit more "explanatory" with your question. For example, it is clearly stated as part of the ideal gas law assumption that the gas particles do not interact with one another other than making elastic collisions. Did you understand this part of the ideal gas law?

Now think about what a "solid" is. A "solid", by definition, means that the particle form BONDS with each other to be able to maintain a rigid shape.

Does that answer your question?

Zz.

4. Aug 29, 2009 #3
    Nah, yeah that is what I thought. Just was not sure. So does that mean for a monochromatic gas that is near the temperature at which it turns into a liquid, the ideal gas law is not so good?

5. Aug 29, 2009 #4
    The ideal gas law is most accurate for monoatomic gases at high temperatures and low pressures. Although, I assume, depending on the necessary accuracy of the measurements and the specifics of the experiment, one could still use the Ideal Gas Law for temperatures near condensation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook