1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal gas behavior

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    http://pages.towson.edu/ladon/gases.html
    "Elastic" means that the energy of the particle before collision equals to the energy of the particle after collision.
    How is this related to the presence or absence of intermolecular forces and

How is this related to kinetic energy?
    Does the particles loses energy when it is attracted to another particle?if yes,then could you explain how?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2
    Think about it, if you have an attractive force, then the kinetic energy will be greater before the collision than after, therefore the energy before the collision ≠ the energy after the collision, likewise with a repulsive force.

Which also answers your second question.

4. Nov 17, 2011 #3
    Yes I know that and i already mentioned it in the first post but I can't just imagine why intermolecular forces makes molecules lose energy?
    but I can imagine that when the molecule rebounces , the other molecule attracts it so decreasing its kinetic energy and its speed.Is that okay?
    how about the repulsive forces?

5. Nov 27, 2011 #4
    hello there?what's wrong with my post

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook