What is the Ideal Gas Equation for Calculating Gas Properties?

In summary, the box has a volume of 1.5*10^27 atoms and each atom occupies a volume of 0.000027 cubic meters.
max0005

Homework Statement

Considering a container of 3*10-2m3 filled with an unknown gas such that the pression is 15MPA (or 1.5*107Pa) and the temperature is 25°C.

Determine the volume occupied by one atom of the gas and determine the average distance between its particles.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

P = Pressure
V = Volume
n = Number of Moles
R = Constant 8.31
T = Temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering that

[tex]n=\frac{PV}{RT}[/tex]

[tex]n=\frac{1.5*10^7*3.2*10^(-2)}{8.31*25}[/tex]

Which returns 2310moles, which is about 1.5*1027 atoms.

However, from here on I'm lost... What should I do? :(

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you are expected to divide volume by number of atoms/molecules. Assuming each one is in the center of its own cube, calculating distance is just a simple geometry.

But number of moles I got is about 10 times lower.

well, the way question is presented, answer should be like this:

volume of 1.5*10^27 atoms = 3*10^-2
so volume of 1 atom = ?

But this will give wrong answer, for this you need to use van der waal eqn

Dear Borek,

I understand what you mean, thanks! :)

Just a question, it's probably pathetically stupid but... Doesn't the volume of an atom remain constant?

From your reasoning if I understand correctly the actual volume of the atom would be negligible correct? But why are you speaking of "cube"? Wouldn't it be more correct to speak of sphere? In such case shouldn't I consider the radius?

cupid.callin said:
But this will give wrong answer, for this you need to use van der waal eqn

Which is? :)

max0005 said:
Just a question, it's probably pathetically stupid but... Doesn't the volume of an atom remain constant?

Yes it does. IMHO question is badly worded, it doesn't ask for a volume of an atom but for a volume it is allowed to occupy. Doesn't mean it occupies it all.

From your reasoning if I understand correctly the actual volume of the atom would be negligible correct? But why are you speaking of "cube"? Wouldn't it be more correct to speak of sphere? In such case shouldn't I consider the radius?

Using spheres you can't fill space. How would you account for holes between spheres?

Not that the estimate would be seriously different.

So if I understood correctly I should divide the total volume of the box by the number of atoms which I obtain multiplying the number of moles by Avogadro's Number, correct? That should give me the space each atom is allowed to fill.

My guess for a sphere was due to the fact that it is the only 3D shape which would allow a uniform field distribution... I guess you're right in speaking about cubes, but then how do I calculate the distance between one and the other? Just calculating the side of a cube with volume 1/Number of atoms? So the actual distance between one and the other would be [STRIKE]half[/STRIKE]the cubic root of 1/Number of atoms?

(Edit: Took "half" out.)

Last edited:
max0005 said:
the cubic root of 1/Number of atoms?

Yes. Very reasonable estimate.

max0005 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering that

[tex]n=\frac{PV}{RT}[/tex]

[tex]n=\frac{1.5*10^7*3.2*10^(-2)}{8.31*25}[/tex]

Which returns 2310moles, which is about 1.5*1027 atoms.

However, from here on I'm lost... What should I do? :(
Hi max0005.

What is 25°C in Kelvins?

cupid.callin said:
Check this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_der_Waals_equation#Equation"

look at the equation given below, here nb is the excluded volume where b is volume of 1 atom!

Show how you are going to use the information given to solve the question using WdV equation, or admit it is completely useless in this case as there is not enough data.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said that we can use the eqn but i said that Vander Waal's Eqn will be a proper way to find out the size of atom!
And the only way the question can be answered is completely useless!

What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the kinetic theory of gases. It is a gas that does not interact with other molecules and has no volume or intermolecular forces. It is used to simplify calculations in gas laws.

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a formula that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of an ideal gas. It is represented by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin.

What are the assumptions for ideal gas calculations?

The assumptions for ideal gas calculations are that the gas particles have negligible volume, there are no intermolecular forces or interactions, and the gas particles are in constant, random motion.

How do you convert between units in ideal gas calculations?

To convert between units in ideal gas calculations, you can use the ideal gas law equation PV = nRT. You can rearrange the equation to solve for the desired unit and then plug in the given values in the original units. Make sure to convert all units to the same unit system (e.g. SI units or Imperial units) before solving.

What is the difference between ideal and real gases?

Ideal gases follow the assumptions of the kinetic theory of gases and do not exist in reality. Real gases have volume, interact with other molecules, and follow more complex gas laws, such as the van der Waals equation. Real gases behave more like ideal gases at low pressures and high temperatures.