1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal gas entropy

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

what is the entropy of 1.0 litre of gasoues n2 at Ta=350 K and Pa=2.0 bar given that So = 191.61 J/(K gmol) at To = 298.15 K and Po = 1 bar?

2. Relevant equations
    I think : S(at 350) - So = NC_p ln (Ta/To) - NR ln(Pa/po)

3. The attempt at a solution
    My problem is, C_p is not given and can we use this formula if p is not constant.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2010 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1) Are you sure you don't know [itex]c_P[/itex] for an ideal gas?
    2) To see if you can use this equation even if P is changing, how about starting from [itex]dU=T\,dS-P\,dV[/itex], isolating dS, and integrating?

4. Apr 8, 2010 #3
    C_p = 5/2 R;

I did the integration and I got the right answer. But the question remains, the specific heat capacity at constant pressure; C_p should be used at constant pressure. Here, the pressure is changing? A qualitative expalnation would suffice. Thanks

5. Apr 8, 2010 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The pressure isn't changing; there's no process occurring. [itex]c_P[/itex] is just a variable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook