Ideal Gas Exercise: Homework Statement & Solution

In summary, in order to calculate the work done by a gas in a process, both the change in internal energy (ΔE) and the heat transferred (q) must be taken into account. This can be done using the equation w = ΔE - q, or the simpler relation w = -PextΔV if the external pressure remains constant. If the pressure varies, the equation must be integrated using an expression for P in terms of V.
Perrin

Homework Statement

A cylinder with a frictionless piston is placed horizontally in an atmosphere pressure 1 * 105 N/m2. A gas in the cylinder is initially at a temperature of 300K with a volume of 6.0 * 10-3 m3. Then the gas is heated slowly to 400K. How much work is done by the gas in the process?

Homework Equations

Ideal Gas equations:

p*V/T = constant

p*V = NKT = nRT

Ek (average) = (3/2) * kT

Ek (total) = (3/2) * NkT = (3/2)pV

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I calculated the initial energy as:
E1 = (3/2)pV = (3/2)*(1 * 105) * (6.0 * 10-3) = 900J

Then, assuming the pressure is constant, I said:

pV1/T1 = pV2/T2

V2 = V1*T2 / T1

V2 = 6.0 * 10-3 * 400 / 300 = 8*10-3

Thus, the second energy:

E2 = (3/2)*105*8*10-3 = 1200J

And the work:
W = E2 - E1 = 1200 - 900 = 300J.

Now, in the answer to the question, it says the work is not 300J, but 200J.
Can someone enlighten me about my mistake?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You calculated the change in internal energy of the gas (ΔE). ΔE = w + q, so you are ignoring q, the amount of heat transferred during the process. You should use this equation for work instead:

[tex]w = -\int_{v_1}^{v_2}{P_{ext}dV}[/tex]

So, I could also calculate:

w = ΔE - q ?

And could you please explain to me how to use the equation you wrote? What's Pext? How do you integrate it? Sorry, I'm not very good with integrals...

Thanks for the quick reply!

Pext is the external pressure. If the external pressure stays constant during your process, P does not vary with V and you can pull it out of the integral to get the simpler relation w = -PextΔV. If P varies as the volume changes, you have to do the integration by finding an expression for P in terms of V.

Thanks, I finally understand :D

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of particles that have no volume and do not interact with each other. It follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas are all directly proportional to each other.

2. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, also known as the universal gas law, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin.

3. How is the ideal gas law used in real-world applications?

The ideal gas law is used in various real-world applications, such as predicting the behavior of gases in chemical reactions, designing and operating gas storage tanks and pipelines, and understanding the properties of atmospheric gases. It is also used in the development and production of various products, such as aerosol cans, airbags, and refrigeration systems.

4. What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical concept, while a real gas is an actual gas that exists in the physical world. Real gases have volume and do interact with each other, unlike ideal gases. Real gases also follow the ideal gas law only under specific conditions, such as low pressure and high temperature.

5. How is the ideal gas law related to the kinetic theory of gases?

The ideal gas law is derived from the kinetic theory of gases, which explains the behavior of gases in terms of the motion of their particles. The ideal gas law assumes that gas particles are in constant, random motion and that their collisions with each other and the container walls are completely elastic. This theory helps to explain why gases have specific properties, such as pressure and volume.