1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal gas final temp question

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

0.020 mol of a diatomic gas, with initial temp. of 20 C, are compressed from 1500 cm^3 to 500 cm^3 in a process in which pV^2=const.

a.) What is the final temp. in C?

b.) how much heat is added during this process?

2. Relevant equations

PV=nRT

3. The attempt at a solution

I've determined the final temperature to be 606 C, but can't find or think of what type of thermodynamic process, if any, pV^2=const. applies to.

I calculated the const.=~.07304 by setting pV^2=x and solving for x, but i'm not sure if that is even useful, and if it is, how it would be.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Since you know how P varies with V, you can calculate the work done on the gas. Given the info you already calculated, you can then use the first law to calculate the heat Q.

4. Sep 16, 2011 #3
    Thanks, I discovered that on my own, and felt like an idiot, on my own. I guess I was just thinking about the problem too much to realize that I already had a way to find p with relation to V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook