Ideal Gas Final Temperature and Heat Calculation

In summary, the problem involves compressing 0.020 mol of a diatomic gas from 1500 cm^3 to 500 cm^3 using the equation pV^2=const. The final temperature is found to be 606 C and the amount of heat added can be calculated using the first law of thermodynamics.
Eastonc2

Homework Statement

0.020 mol of a diatomic gas, with initial temp. of 20 C, are compressed from 1500 cm^3 to 500 cm^3 in a process in which pV^2=const.

a.) What is the final temp. in C?

b.) how much heat is added during this process?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I've determined the final temperature to be 606 C, but can't find or think of what type of thermodynamic process, if any, pV^2=const. applies to.

I calculated the const.=~.07304 by setting pV^2=x and solving for x, but I'm not sure if that is even useful, and if it is, how it would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you know how P varies with V, you can calculate the work done on the gas. Given the info you already calculated, you can then use the first law to calculate the heat Q.

Thanks, I discovered that on my own, and felt like an idiot, on my own. I guess I was just thinking about the problem too much to realize that I already had a way to find p with relation to V.

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and number of moles (n) of a gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where R is the ideal gas constant.

2. How do you calculate the final temperature of an ideal gas?

To calculate the final temperature of an ideal gas, you can use the formula T2 = (P2V2T1)/(P1V1), where T1 is the initial temperature, P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume, and P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume.

3. What are the assumptions of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law assumes that the gas particles have no volume, there are no intermolecular forces between the particles, and the collisions between particles and the container walls are perfectly elastic.

4. Can the ideal gas law be applied to real gases?

The ideal gas law is an approximation and is most accurate for gases at low pressures and high temperatures. Real gases deviate from ideal behavior at high pressures and low temperatures due to factors such as intermolecular forces and the volume of gas particles.

5. How does the ideal gas law relate to the kinetic theory of gases?

The ideal gas law is based on the kinetic theory of gases, which states that gas particles are in constant random motion and that their kinetic energy is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas. The ideal gas law uses this relationship to explain the behavior of gases.