1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas Help

1. Dec 5, 2005 #1
    Here is my problem.

A vertical cylinder of cross-sectional area .04m^2 if fitted with a frictionless piston with a mass of 13kg. Assume acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. If there is 1 mol of an ideal gas in the cylinder at 315 K, find the pressure in the cylinder. Assume the system is in equilibrium.

Here is what I've been doing.

P=Force/Area Force= Pressue * Area

Since it is in equilibrium, the downward force of the piston should equal the upward force of the gas.

PA = (Piston mass)(gravity)

P(.04) = (13)(9.8)
    P = 3185 Pa

3185 is not the right answer according to my online answer checker. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2005 #2
    Questionable Solution

Okay, I found why my answer is wrong. Apparently I need to at 101300 Pa (1 atm) to my answer. If anyone can explain why I add one atmosphere, that would be greatly appreciated.

4. Dec 5, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Assume the piston seals the vertical cylinder. The piston has a mass (13 kg) but also, there is atomspheric pressure outside the cylinder, i.e. the air in which we live, and that pressure is 1 atm = 14.7 psia = 101325 Pa or 101.325 kPa. At equilibrium, the pressure inside the cylinder must equal the pressure applied from the outside which is the sum of the (weight of the piston)/(area of piston), or (13 kg)(9.8 m/s2)/(0.04 m2) + the atmospheric pressure 101325 Pa.

mg = force = N if m (kg) and g (m/s2).

Pressure = force/area = N/m2 = Pa.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?