1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas in a Gravitational Field

1. May 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Im given an ideal Gas confined in an container with quadratic bottom area of size L^2 and open at the top.
    The whole thing is set in V(z) = m*g*z surely and contains N Atoms at Temperature T.
    Compute the Helmoltz Free Energy.

2. Relevant equations
    Yea surely the Helmholtz free Energy ist F = E-T*S or dF = -SdT - pdV

3. The attempt at a solution
    My first idea was to plug in the barometric hight formula into the expression for p and integrate over the whole thing allways integration over volume V = L^2*dz so that i get some F(z+dz) = F(z)*dz and integrate the whole thing for z from 0 to infinity.
    But im kinda stuck with the -S*dT part. Regarding the fact that T is allways constant it thould be -S*T ( and i think it surely is :) ) but how to compute S ? I honestly don´t got any idea. ( in fact i have my problems computing entropies so i would be nice if you give me some hint and not the solution right away i really wanna understand this stuff :).

Thanks in advance
    Mr.Brown

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?