1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas Law and a helium tank

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Helium in a steel tank is at 250kPa, 300K with a volume of .1m^3. It is used to fill a balloon. When the pressure drops to 150kPa, the flow of helium stops by itself. If all the helium is still at 300k, how big balloon is produced?

2. Relevant equations
    I used the ideal gas law PV=mRT

3. The attempt at a solution
    What i did was that i solved for the mass which i got was .04012 and then i used that mass in the ideal gas law with the new pressure of 150kPa to get a new volume of .167 m^3 is this the right approach and answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's a fine approach, but be sure to answer the precise question asked: How big is the balloon?

Rather than calculate the mass, since it's constant, you could have just used:
    P1V1 = P2V2.

4. Jan 25, 2009 #3
    By asking how big the balloon is doesn't it mean give the volume or what do you think i should put down?

5. Jan 25, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You want the volume of the balloon, not the total volume.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?