1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal gas law constant R conversion

1. May 6, 2004 #1
    Hi, not sure if this is the right forum to ask this in, but I was trying to convert the ideal gas law constant R (from PV = nRT) from:

8.31 (Pa * cu. meters) / (mol * Kelvin) to the equivalent:

10.73 (psia * cu. ft) / (lb. * mol * Rankine)

Here's the conversion factors I've been using:
    1 Pa = 1.4505E-7 psia (absolute pressure)
    1 cu. meter = 35.315 cu. ft
    1 Rankine = 1.8 Kelvin

What I don't understand is where does the extra pounds in the denominator of the 10.73 value come from? This is probably what's throwing off my calculations.

-Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

gm-Mole vs. lb-Mole

In the first equation "mole" means "gram-Mole"; in the second the unit is "lb-Mole". You need to convert between gm-Moles and lb-Moles.

4. May 6, 2004 #3
    Ahh, using 1 gram = 0.0022 lb I finally got it. Thanks alot, this has really been bugging me :smile:

5. May 7, 2004 #4
    I always use this
    [tex]R = 0.082 \frac{atm \cdot l}{mol \cdot K} = 2 \frac{cal}{mol \cdot K} = 8.314 \frac{J}{mol \cdot K} [/tex]

6. Jul 29, 2004 #5
    Take a look at:
    http://www.adacs.com/menu/PDAcalc_units.php [Broken] This program runs on a palm, PocketPC,windows and will do all the conversions AUTOMATICALLY for you. Download the user manual which has an example of the PV = nRT formula that shows how it automatically convert between the different units.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook