1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas law lab

1. Nov 23, 2006 #1
    For the first part of my lab, I have a graph with pressure(atm) as a function of temperature(K).

For the second part of my lab, I have a graph with pressure(atm) as a function of inverse volume(mL^-1)

For both of these, i am supposed to find the value for R, the gas constant.

So far far part a i have: PV = nRT
    P = (nR/V)T (in the form y = mx +b),
    So the slope of my graph is nR/V
    I also know that n is kept constant, because it was a closed system and 1mol= 22.4L. And that the initial volume is 20mL.
    And i think I should I pick two points on the line to find the slope and set that equal to nR/V.

And this is where i'm having trouble, i get some value for the slope, m, so
    m = nR/V
    R = mV/n, here i'm confused at how to find V and n in order to solve for R.

For part b; PV = nRT
    P = (nRT) 1/V
    So the slope of my graph is nRT
    I did the same thing as part one;
    m = nRT
    R = m/nT, since T was not chnged, I can do that part, but once again, I am confused by finding n.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As I understand your lab experiment you are doing the following:

1) You keep Volume constant, and take measurements of Pressure at various Temperatures. A plot of P as a function of T should be a straight line P = nRT/V with slope m = nR/V and y intercept b=0.

2) Keeping T constant, take measurements of Volume at various Pressures. A plot of P as a function of 1/V should be a straight line: P = nRT(1/V) with slope m = nRT and y intercept b=0.

In 1) you determine V by measurement. You just have to keep n and V constant while you change the temperature.

In 2) you just have to keep n and T constant as you change the volume.

To find n, you have to weigh the gas. If you use the fact that 1 mole occupies 22.414 L at STP you are indirectly using the known value for R:

R = PV/nT = 101325*.022414/1*273.15 = 8.3145 J/mol K

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?