How do I solve for dP/dz in the ideal gas law using mass and density?

In summary, the mass of a mole of dry air is calculated by adding the masses of the individual components. The density of air can be expressed in terms of pressure, temperature, and the average mass of air molecules using the ideal gas law. The pressure obeys the differential equation dP/dz=-mgP/kT, which can be derived from the ideal gas law by writing it in terms of intensive variables and constants. The number of moles or molecules does not need to be specified in order to solve the problem.
pentazoid

Homework Statement

Calculate the mass of a mole of dry air, which is mixture of N2(78 percent by volume, O2 (21 percent) and argon (1 percent).

Use the ideal gas law to write the density of air in terms of pressure, temperature , and the average mass of the air molecules. Show , then, that the pressure obeys the differential equation

dP/dz=-mgP/kT

Homework Equations

PV=nkT

The Attempt at a Solution

m(total)=.78(28 grams)+.21(16 grams)+.01(40 grams)= 29 grams

rho=m/V , from Ideal gas law, V=nKT/P ==> rho=m*P/nkT

I am having difficulties with show that dP/dz=-mgP/kT. I know other thread on the ideal gas law problem concerning the same problem I said that dP/dz=-rho*g. and I know that rho=mP/nkT, therefore I guess dP/dz=rho*g=mgP/nkT. The only problem is how would I get rid of n? Should I assume that they are talking about one mole of air and therefore n=1?

Physics news on Phys.org
you just need to be careful about your definition of m and n.

turin said:
you just need to be careful about your definition of m and n.

what do you mean?

There is a number of moles and there is a number of molecules. There is a molar mass and a molecular mass. In your equations, which ones are you using? You don't have to choose a particular number of moles in order to get the answer. You need to write the ideal gas law entirely in terms intensive variables and constants.

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. How do you solve Ideal Gas Law problems?

To solve an Ideal Gas Law problem, you need to know three of the four variables (pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles) and use the Ideal Gas Law equation to find the missing variable. You may also need to convert units to ensure that all values are in the correct units before solving the equation.

3. What are some real-life applications of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is used in various industries, such as in the production of compressed air, gas pipelines, and in the design of refrigeration systems. It is also used in weather forecasting, as changes in temperature and pressure can affect weather patterns. Additionally, the Ideal Gas Law is used in the study of gases in chemistry and physics.

4. What are the units for each variable in the Ideal Gas Law?

The units for pressure (P) are usually in Pascals (Pa) or atmospheres (atm), volume (V) is typically in liters (L), temperature (T) is in Kelvin (K), and number of moles (n) is in moles (mol). However, it is important to ensure that all units are consistent and may need to be converted depending on the given problem.

5. What are the assumptions made in the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law assumes that the gas particles have no volume, there are no intermolecular forces between the particles, and the particles are in constant, random motion. It also assumes that the gas is at a low enough pressure and high enough temperature for the particles to behave ideally, meaning that they follow the Ideal Gas Law equation accurately.