Solve Ideal Gas Law Problem: 1.2L Bottle of SO2 at 78PSI, 23°C

In summary, the professor brings a 1.2 L bottle of sulfur dioxide into the lecture hall before class to allow it to reach room temperature. The pressure gauge reads 78 psi and the lecture hall is 23°C. Using the gas law equation, PV=nRT, and substituting the given values, we can solve for the number of moles of sulfur dioxide in the bottle. R is a constant with a value of 0.08206 atm.l/(mol.K).
brandon1
In preparation for a demonstration, your professor brings a 1.2 L bottle of sulfur dioxide into the lecture hall before class to allow the gas to reach room temperature. If the pressure gauge reads 78 psi and the lecture hall is 23°C, how many moles of sulfur dioxide are in the bottle? (Hint: The gauge reads zero when 14.7 psi of gas remains.)

First, I got the P=63.3 and T=296K

PV=nRT
(63.3K)(1.2L)=296nR
75.96=296nR
.25662=nR

Now, how do I get R, or is a always the same value (if so, what is it!) Am I at least heading in the right direction? (Disregard significant figures at the moment)

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] R [/tex] is a constant. It is equaled to 0.08206 atm.l/(mol.K) .

Thank you, I got it!

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles of a gas in a closed system. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

How do I solve an ideal gas law problem?

To solve an ideal gas law problem, you need to identify the known values for pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles. Then, you can rearrange the equation to solve for the unknown variable. Be sure to convert all units to the appropriate SI units (atm for pressure, L for volume, K for temperature, and mol for number of moles).

What is the difference between real gases and ideal gases?

Ideal gases are theoretical gases that follow the ideal gas law under all conditions. Real gases, on the other hand, deviate from the ideal gas law at high pressures and low temperatures. They also have intermolecular forces that can affect their behavior.

How do I convert between units for ideal gas law problems?

To convert between units for ideal gas law problems, you can use conversion factors or the ideal gas law itself. For example, to convert from Celsius to Kelvin, simply add 273.15 to the Celsius temperature. To convert from atm to Pa, multiply by 101325.

What are the units for the gas constant in the ideal gas law?

The units for the gas constant in the ideal gas law depend on the units used for pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles. The most common units are atm•L/mol•K, but other units such as Pa•m^3/mol•K or torr•L/mol•K may also be used.