Calculate Net Force on Hot-Air Balloon Using Ideal Gas Law | Homework Solution

• Thread starter kop442000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the problem involves calculating the net force on a hot-air balloon with a volume of 1.5m^3 that is open at the bottom, given the temperature and pressure of the air inside and outside the balloon. The ideal gas law and Archimedes' principle are both applicable in finding the density and ultimately the force on the balloon. Initially, there was uncertainty about whether the pressure inside the balloon could be assumed to be equal to the pressure outside, but this is not an issue due to the open bottom of the balloon.
kop442000

Homework Statement

A hot-air balloon has a volume of 1.5m^3 and is open at the bottom. If the air inside the balloon is at temperature of 75C, while the temperature of the air outside the balloon is 24C, at a pressure of about 1 atm, what is the net force on the balloon and its contents? (Neglect the Weight of the balloon itself).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this question is about the ideal-gas law, but for some reason I just can't think how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Force is pressure times area. This is all about the pressure of the gas inside the balloon.. That should be enough to get you going.

Consider Archimedes' principle. How does the density of the air inside the balloon compare to that outside?

So to find the density, I presume I first find the number of moles in the balloon using the ideal gas law. But to do so, can I assume that the pressure inside the balloon is the same as the pressure outside?

When I do this, I calculate 35 moles per m^3. This leads me to a density of just over 1kg/m^3. This is compared to the density of the air outside of 1.19kg/m^3

Oh.. ok I got it. So now I just figure out how much more gravity would pull down 1.5m^3 of the normal density air, and this is the force on the balloon.

Initially my problem was just that I wasn't sure if I could assume pressure inside to be equal to outside - because I thought the material of the balloon would add its own elasticity to the forces making the balloon smaller - but I guess because the bottom of the balloon is open this never becomes an issue.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

1. What is the Ideal-Gas Law?

The Ideal-Gas Law is a scientific law that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. It is represented by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. How is the Ideal-Gas Law derived?

The Ideal-Gas Law is derived from a combination of the three gas laws: Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, and Avogadro's Law. These laws describe how the volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas change under different conditions. When combined, they form the Ideal-Gas Law.

3. What are the assumptions of the Ideal-Gas Law?

The Ideal-Gas Law assumes that the gas particles have no volume, there are no intermolecular forces between the particles, and the particles are in constant, random motion. It also assumes that the gas is at a low pressure and high temperature.

4. What is the significance of the Ideal-Gas Law?

The Ideal-Gas Law is significant because it allows scientists to predict the behavior of gases under different conditions. It is also used in many practical applications, such as in the design of gas storage tanks and in the production of industrial gases.

5. What are some examples of the Ideal-Gas Law in action?

The Ideal-Gas Law can be observed in everyday phenomena such as the expansion of a balloon when heated, the decrease in pressure when a spray can is used, and the increase in volume of a gas as it is compressed. It is also used in the study of weather patterns and the behavior of gases in the atmosphere.