1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas Law (Simple )

1. Sep 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the volume for 1 kg of diatomic oxygen for a pressure of 150,000 Pa and a temperature of 100K. This is really part of a larger project, and I need to make sure I'm not tripping up on little details. It's that 1 kg of diatomic oxygen that I am a bit unsure about, or just plain having a brain freeze about.

R* = 8.314 J/K*mol
    T = 100 K
    P = 150,000 Pa
    n = ??

2. Relevant equations

PV = nRT

3. The attempt at a solution

Solving the equation for V; V = nRT/P. No big deal. My problem is making sure I have the correct n in the equation. The mass of diatomic oxygen is 32.0 grams, which is what I was using in my solutions. However, I realize that I have 1 kg of O2, not 1 g of it. Should I really be using 32,000 for my n? Or something else?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2007 #2
    you're using the wrong R constant. i'm working on it right now.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  4. Sep 9, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

You haven't properly converted mass to moles. Check that your units make sense in your calculation.
  5. Sep 9, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

6. Sep 9, 2007 #5
    Thanks, everyone.

If I am looking at this all correctly, since I have 1 kg of diatomic oxygen, my number of moles should be: 1000 g / 32.00 g, which gives me my number of moles (n) equal to 31.25. Am I on the right track now?
  7. Sep 9, 2007 #6
  8. Sep 9, 2007 #7
    Thanks for the help, everyone!! It was a total brain freeze on my part...
  9. Sep 9, 2007 #8
    what was your final answer?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?