Calculating Volume for 1 kg of O2 at 150,000 Pa and 100K using Ideal Gas Law

In summary, you need to find the volume for 1 kg of diatomic oxygen at a pressure of 150,000 Pa and a temperature of 100K. The equation for V is PV = nRT/P. However, you may need to use a different n value in your equation if you have 1 kg of diatomic oxygen instead of 1 g of it. You also need to make sure you have correctly converted mass to moles. Your final answer was 31.25 moles of diatomic oxygen.
Rockstar47

Homework Statement

I need to find the volume for 1 kg of diatomic oxygen for a pressure of 150,000 Pa and a temperature of 100K. This is really part of a larger project, and I need to make sure I'm not tripping up on little details. It's that 1 kg of diatomic oxygen that I am a bit unsure about, or just plain having a brain freeze about.

R* = 8.314 J/K*mol
T = 100 K
P = 150,000 Pa
n = ??

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving the equation for V; V = nRT/P. No big deal. My problem is making sure I have the correct n in the equation. The mass of diatomic oxygen is 32.0 grams, which is what I was using in my solutions. However, I realize that I have 1 kg of O2, not 1 g of it. Should I really be using 32,000 for my n? Or something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
you're using the wrong R constant. I'm working on it right now.

Last edited:
You haven't properly converted mass to moles. Check that your units make sense in your calculation.

Thanks, everyone.

If I am looking at this all correctly, since I have 1 kg of diatomic oxygen, my number of moles should be: 1000 g / 32.00 g, which gives me my number of moles (n) equal to 31.25. Am I on the right track now?

yeppp

Thanks for the help, everyone! It was a total brain freeze on my part...

Rockstar47 said:
Thanks for the help, everyone! It was a total brain freeze on my part...
what was your final answer?

What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a hypothetical ideal gas. It relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas to each other.

What are the units for the variables in the Ideal Gas Law?

Pressure is measured in Pascals (Pa), volume in cubic meters (m3), temperature in Kelvin (K), and number of moles in moles (mol).

How is the Ideal Gas Law used in real-world applications?

The Ideal Gas Law is used to predict the behavior of gases in various situations, such as in industrial processes, weather forecasting, and studying the properties of gases in space.

What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas?

An ideal gas is a hypothetical gas that follows the Ideal Gas Law exactly, while a real gas may deviate from the Ideal Gas Law at high pressures or low temperatures due to intermolecular forces.

Can the Ideal Gas Law be used for all gases?

The Ideal Gas Law can be applied to most gases, but it is most accurate for gases at low pressures and high temperatures. It is less accurate for real gases or gases at extreme conditions.