1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas Law

1. May 2, 2006 #1
    The volume of a quantity of the ideal gas was kept constant in a experiment. The final temp. was 600 kelvins (K) and the final pressure was 300 netwons per square m (Meter). What was the original pressure if the original temperature was 1000 K?

This is so mind twisting.

I got it wrong three times
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What was your approach on this question? Also please be sure to re-read this thread part #1.

If you show us what you have done, we can help steer you in a successful direction.

What kind of relationship (equations) do you know that relate the variables in your question?
    Last edited: May 2, 2006
  4. May 3, 2006 #3
    K, I read it.

I was doing the problem wrong. But I think i understand it now.
    My equation is

1. 1000 x 300 = 300,000
    2. 300,000 / 600 = 500

This all works out right?
  5. May 3, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand.. What are you trying to accomplish with your calculations? Do you know the equation that shows the relationship between your variables (final temperature, pressure, & volume; original temperature, pressure & volume)?
  6. May 4, 2006 #5
    I'm trying to accomplish what the original pressure was if the original temperature was 1000 K.
    1000 [Original Temperature] x 300 [Final Pressure] = 300,000

300,000 [New Solution] / 600 [Final Temperature] = 500 [Original Pressure]

Answer = 500

I asked my advisor if i was correct, and he said yes.

But, I want to know if you think my steps were the correct way of getting the answer?
  7. May 4, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes your solution is okay..

It helps to understand the relationship of your variables to solve any problem. That way you are not limited by step-by-step instructions shown in your text or given by the instructor.

In your case one form of the general expression for The Ideal Gas Law, where i is initial and f is final, P-pressure, V-volume and T-temperature.

[tex] \frac {P_i V_i}{T_i} = \frac {P_f V_f}{T_f} [/tex]

ref (see Ideal Gas Law with Constraints)

Since your volume is constant [itex] V_i = V_f [/itex]

You are asked what is the original pressure. Solving for [itex]P_i[/itex]
    (using basic algebra)

[tex] P_i = \frac {P_f T_i}{T_f} [/tex]
    Once you realize that, the solution becomes trivial (just plugging in the numbers and keeping your units consistent). Speaking of units, I hope remembered to give your solution in [tex] \frac {N}{m^2} [/tex]
    Last edited: May 4, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?