1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal gas law-

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A child holding a helium filled balloon @ sea level (T= 20 C) lets go of the string. The balloon rises freely several thousand meters, where T = 5 C and P = 0.70 atm. Find the percentage change in the balloon's volume.

2. Relevant equations

PV = nRT

percentage change = amount of change (amt change = V2-V1)/ original amount (V1)

3. The attempt at a solution

Is my reasoning correct on this one? Since n and R don't change with altitude, temperature or volume, I solved for volume: V = P/T Then I solved for V1 and V2. Lastly used the above % change equation.

The only thing that is bothering me about my method is that I'm not sure how the units work out for the volume equation I posted. I guess Im figuring it jut works out (???) But, I really need to understand it for exams :wink: I see no other way to work this problem. Also- is the % change formula correct?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2
    Looks good to me.

Units? Try working them out.

4. Feb 17, 2009 #3
    V = P/T

m^3 or liters = Pa or (N/m^2) / (C)

I'm still don't understand how it works out. Do you mean work it out with the n and R included?

5. Feb 17, 2009 #4
    When you are calculating percent change in volume, that is a ratio and there are no units; they cancel out.

However, when working out the units in the ideal gas law, you will need to include nR, (or Nk):

PV=NkT=nRT

6. Feb 17, 2009 #5
    Thank you BF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook