Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas Law?

1. Oct 27, 2004 #1
    I'm having quite a bit of trouble determining my own 'ideal gas law' in the form of PV=NRT (pressure*volume=molecules*our gas constant*temperature). We measured in kPa, mL, # of molecules, and Kelvin.

One of the hard parts is, we had to set the molecules equal to a certain volume and change the molecules in an experiment that way, then pretend like we actually did measure the molecules.

Our relationships were:
    .247 kPa/K y-int: 23.64 kPa
    0.4947 mL/K y-int: 0
    .6473 kPa/molecule y-int: 97.02
    and at 10 mL the pressure is 96.1 kPa

Now, I'm confused on how to actually work this out to get a nice R value. Can anyone possibly show me how? I'm working it out on my own, or trying in the meantime, i'll edit when I get anywhere.

EDIT: Here's where I have trouble: I say that there is 10 mL at 96.1 kPa. Now according to the first relationship, that means the temp is about 293K. But then according to the second relationship stated, that'd mean there was about 140 mL, which there wasn't.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted