1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal gas law

1. Apr 21, 2005 #1
    A Jaguar XK8 convertible has an eight-cylinder engine. At the beginning of its compression stroke, one of the cylinders contains 499cm^3 of air at atmospheric pressure (1.01×105 Pa and a temperature of 27.0 C. At the end of the stroke, the air has been compressed to a volume of 46.2 cm^3 and the gauge pressure has increased to 2.72×106 Pa. Compute the final temperature.

I ended up with 69.8 degrees. I used the ideal gas law, but because the mass of air remains constant, i used:

(p1v1/T1) = (p2v2/T2)

I converted the volume to 4.99 x 10^-4 and 4.62 x 10^-5. I also dtermined the final absolute pressure, which is 2.821 x 10^6. But my answer is wrong. Could someone please help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2005 #2
    It's ok...i forgot to convert to Kelvin.
  4. Apr 21, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Classical mistake.The weird part is that u converted the volume...:eek:

5. Apr 21, 2005 #4
    Use the ratios of the volumes, so as dex said you don't need to convert. Also, as you understood, always work with Kelvin!
  6. Apr 21, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hope u see that u need the conversion to K in both the initial & final temperature...

7. Apr 21, 2005 #6
    How did you find the final absolute pressure?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?