Find the Oxygen Mass in a Welding Tank

In summary, a welder fills a tank with oxygen at a gauge pressure of 3.20×105Pa and temperature of 38.7∘C. The tank has a small leak and on a day with a temperature of 22.9∘C, the gauge pressure is 1.60×105Pa. Using the ideal gas law, the initial mass of oxygen is 0.29225 kg and the mass of oxygen that has leaked out can be calculated.
dereklin

Homework Statement

A welder using a tank of volume 7.40×10−2m3 fills it with oxygen (with a molar mass of 32.0g/mol ) at a gauge pressure of 3.20×105Pa and temperature of 38.7∘C. The tank has a small leak, and in time some of the oxygen leaks out. On a day when the temperature is 22.9∘C, the gauge pressure of the oxygen in the tank is 1.60×105Pa .

Homework Equations

(a)Find the initial mass of oxygen.
(b)Find the mass of oxygen that has leaked out.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)PV=nRT
n=PV/RT
m=n*32
link to calculations
answer I got: 0.29225 kg
this answer was incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Type in your calculation, please.
You used the gauge pressure instead of the pressure of the gas. Do you know what gauge pressure is?

ok I see where I did wrong
Thanks for the help.

1. How do I determine the oxygen mass in a welding tank?

Determining the oxygen mass in a welding tank requires the use of a scale. First, weigh the tank when it is empty. Then, weigh the tank when it is full of oxygen. The difference between these two weights is the mass of the oxygen in the tank.

2. What is the unit of measurement for oxygen mass in a welding tank?

The unit of measurement for oxygen mass in a welding tank is typically in pounds (lbs) or kilograms (kg). This is the weight of the oxygen contained within the tank.

3. Can I calculate the oxygen mass in a welding tank without a scale?

No, a scale is necessary to accurately determine the oxygen mass in a welding tank. Other methods, such as estimating based on pressure or volume, may not provide an accurate measurement.

4. Why is it important to know the oxygen mass in a welding tank?

Knowing the oxygen mass in a welding tank is important for safety reasons. It ensures that the correct amount of oxygen is used for the welding process, and prevents potential hazards such as explosions or insufficient oxygen supply.

5. How frequently should I check the oxygen mass in a welding tank?

It is recommended to check the oxygen mass in a welding tank before each use. This ensures that the tank has enough oxygen for the welding process and helps prevent any safety hazards. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the tank to ensure its accuracy and safety.