Combining Differently-Tempered Gases: Calculating Internal Energy Change

In summary, the conversation discusses combining two separate volumes of an ideal gas which are at different temperatures, pressures, and volumes and determining the change in internal energy. The formula for total energy is mentioned and the method for combining the volumes is described. The type of experiment and the interaction between the volumes is also discussed. The conversation concludes by mentioning the importance of calculating the total energy of each system and combining them for the total energy of all systems.
winstonsmith
How do you combine two separate volumes of an ideal gas which are at different temperatures pressures and volumes and then work out the change in internal energy?
I have been trying to get my head around this without success.

Physics news on Phys.org
It has been a while since I used this, but:

total energy (T)=potential energy (P)+ kinetic energy (K)
I forgot the actually variable symbology you are probably using.

T1=P1+K1; T2=P2+K2
Tcombined= P1+P2+K1+K2

that simple I think.

If your asking how would you combine the volums of gas it would probably depend on what type of experiment you are doing and the type on energy in the system you are trying to analyze.

Thanks.
I am considering a closed system that contains two different sized chambers chambers separated by a barrier each chamber has the same ideal gas in different volumes, temperature and pressure.

winstonsmith said:
Thanks.
I am considering a closed system that contains two different sized chambers chambers separated by a barrier each chamber has the same ideal gas in different volumes, temperature and pressure.

How will the two volums interact? will you open a valve of is the plate separating them flexible? Actually, it probably doesn't matter. Simple calculate the total energy of each system and combine them for the total evergy of all systems. If you are assuming no interaction with outside world, then this will work. even if you have a negative pressure and a positive pressure that are equal in magnitude (and all the other variables are equal) you might think the total energy should be zero, and it should, since one will have negative pressure and the other positive pressure. All the energy of each system would be release by the transfer.

1. What is the purpose of combining differently-tempered gases?

The purpose of combining differently-tempered gases is to calculate the change in internal energy that occurs when these gases are mixed together. This is important in understanding thermodynamics and how gases behave under different conditions.

2. How is the internal energy change calculated when combining differently-tempered gases?

The internal energy change is calculated by using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the change in internal energy, m is the mass of the gas, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This equation takes into account the amount of heat absorbed or released by the gases as they are mixed.

3. What factors affect the internal energy change when combining differently-tempered gases?

The internal energy change is affected by the mass and specific heat capacity of the gases being combined, as well as the initial temperatures of the gases. The specific heat capacity can vary depending on the type of gas and the temperature at which it is measured.

4. How does the internal energy change affect the behavior of the combined gases?

The internal energy change can affect the behavior of the combined gases by altering their temperature, pressure, and volume. This can lead to changes in the gas's physical properties, such as its density and viscosity.

5. Can the internal energy change be negative when combining differently-tempered gases?

Yes, the internal energy change can be negative when combining differently-tempered gases. This indicates that the gases have released heat and their internal energy has decreased. This can occur when gases with different temperatures are mixed together and the warmer gas transfers energy to the cooler gas.