How to Calculate Ideal Gas Temperature Change without Bursting the Vessel

In summary: I meant to say that \frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2} is incorrect when n is not constant, but equal when n is constant.
AdkinsJr

Homework Statement

A certain amount of gas at 298.15 K and at a pressure of 0.800 atm is contained in a glass vessel. suppose that the vessel can withstand a pressure of 2.00 atm. How high can you raise the termperature of the gas without bursting the vessel.

Homework Equations

[tex]PV=nRT[/tex]

Since the amount of gas remains constant:

[tex]R=\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously I don't have enough information to fill this in directly. Ideal gas problems are usually very simple, but this one stumped me. I don't see how I can solve for [tex]T_2[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You are almost there.
What can you say about the relation between V1 and V2?

CompuChip said:
You are almost there.
What can you say about the relation between V1 and V2?

Thanks for your reply. I noticed that they must be equal right? I kind of forgot the basic definition of a gas, lol. The volume must be constant if the gas has filled the container.

Yep, it is just pV=const.

Beware:

This is incorrect. It would be correct for exactly 1 mole of gas.

--
methods

No, n is number of moles. It is usually constant throughout the problem if the number of moles of gas doesn't change, but it is not constant as R is.

Ideal gas equation is

PV=nRT

That means

[tex]R = \frac{PV}{nT}[/tex]

or

[tex]nR = \frac{PV}{T}[/tex]

--
methods

Borek said:
No, n is number of moles. It is usually constant throughout the problem if the number of moles of gas doesn't change, but it is not constant as R is.

Ideal gas equation is

PV=nRT

That means

[tex]R = \frac{PV}{nT}[/tex]

or

[tex]nR = \frac{PV}{T}[/tex]

--
chemical calculators - buffer calculator, concentration calculator
www.titrations.info - all about titration methods

Yeah, I know that n isn't a natural constant. I meant that it's constant in this particular problem since it doesn't change. The number of moles before and after are equal.

[tex]\frac{V_1P_1}{n_1T_1}=\frac{V_2P_2}{n_2T_2}[/tex]

[tex]n_1=n_2=n[/tex]

[tex]\frac{V_1P_1}{nT_1}=\frac{V_2P_2}{nT_2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{V_1P_1}{T_1}=\frac{V_2P_2}{T_2}[/tex]

OK, but still

is incorrect in general (holds only for one mole of gas). It should be

[tex]nR=\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex]

--

So in this case, you could continue by writing V1 = V2 = V, so
[tex]\frac{n R}{V} = \frac{P_1}{T_1} = \frac{P_2}{T_2}[/tex]
where you can call the left hand side R', or C, or k (not kB :) ), since it is a constant in the current problem.

You could calculate the constant if you knew n and V and looked up R. However, the equality in that formula which you are interested in, is of course the second one:
[tex]\frac{P_1}{T_1} = \frac{P_2}{T_2}[/tex]

Borek said:
OK, but still

is incorrect in general (holds only for one mole of gas). It should be

[tex]nR=\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex]

--
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - buffer calculator, stoichiometry calculator
www.ph-meter.info - ph meter, ph electrode

Oh, ok, I see what you're saying. I wasn't thinking when I wrote [tex]R=\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex]. I agree that this is incorrect. I thought that you were claiming that [tex]\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{T_2}[/tex] was incorrect.

Thanks

What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. The equation is PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. This law is based on the assumptions that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other.

What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the Ideal Gas Law exactly. This means that the particles have no volume and do not interact with each other. In real gases, there are deviations from this behavior due to factors such as intermolecular forces and the volume of gas particles.

What is the significance of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is significant because it allows us to predict the behavior of gases under different conditions. By manipulating the equation, we can determine the effect of changing one variable (such as pressure) on the other variables (volume, temperature, and number of moles).

What are the units used in the Ideal Gas Law?

The units used in the Ideal Gas Law depend on the units used for the variables in the equation. Pressure is typically measured in atmospheres (atm) or kilopascals (kPa), volume in liters (L), temperature in Kelvin (K), and the gas constant (R) has units of L·atm/mol·K or J/mol·K.

What are some real-life applications of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law has many practical applications, such as in the design of gas-filled balloons and airbags. It is also used in industries such as chemical engineering and in the production of materials such as plastics and polymers. Additionally, the Ideal Gas Law is used in weather forecasting to predict changes in atmospheric pressure and volume.