Ideal Gas Law Q: Increase in Volume w/ 100°C Water -> Steam

In summary, at 100 degrees Celsius, the volume of water in steam form is about 3.3 x 10-8 times the volume of water in liquid form.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The ideal gas law states that 1 mole of an ideal gas at 0°C and 1 atmosphere=1.0125x105Pa (standard temperature and pressure, or “STP”) occupies a volume of 22.4litres (2.24x10-2m3).

(i) Use this result to obtain an approximate value for the increase in volume that occurs when a mass of water at 100°C is converted into steam at the same temperature.

For argon (monatomic gas, mass=40amu) at STP, estimate:
(ii) The typical spacing between atoms
(iii) The root-mean-square (rms) speed of the atoms

The Attempt at a Solution

i)I am not sure how to use the ideal gas law STP conditions. For one, this assumes 0 degrees temperature, while the question is concerned with 100 degrees. I know I have to incorporate the latent heat of vapourisation since the water is changing phase. (and at the same temperature)

ii) Assuming small spherical atoms, ##r = \left(\frac{6}{\pi n}\right)^{1/3}##, where n = N_a/V, but I think this just takes me in a circle since I don't know V. Also, I think I have to assume ideal gas conditions, so each particle would be of negligible volume.

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the Ideal gas equation where the temperature is 373 K. I believe the volume occupied by water in liquid phase is very small compared to that in the gas phase and thus can be neglected in their difference.

To find the spacing between the atoms, you just need to find the average volume occupied by an atom i.e. volume of gas per atom. Though the atom is considered infinitesimally small, you just need to find the volume of its immediate neighborhood and not that of the atom itself.

In an ideal gas, what is the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature?

Sunil Simha said:
Use the Ideal gas equation where the temperature is 373 K. I believe the volume occupied by water in liquid phase is very small compared to that in the gas phase and thus can be neglected in their difference.

So, when it says use this result, it just means use the ideal gas law? (PV = nRT). (So what I need is V where n=1, T = 373K, P = 1 atm, and simply solve for V?)

To find the spacing between the atoms, you just need to find the average volume occupied by an atom i.e. volume of gas per atom.
So have I not to assume ideal gas conditions? (I.e particles take up negligible volume)

Though the atom is considered infinitesimally small, you just need to find the volume of its immediate neighborhood and not that of the atom itself.

This is what I did, and I derived the eqn in the OP. But n= N_a/V, so this only brings back in V, which is not what I want.

The OP gives a volume for one mole of gas at STP.

SteamKing said:
The OP gives a volume for one mole of gas at STP.

Is this in response to my first question?

Sunil Simha said:
To find the spacing between the atoms, you just need to find the average volume occupied by an atom i.e. volume of gas per atom. Though the atom is considered infinitesimally small, you just need to find the volume of its immediate neighborhood and not that of the atom itself.

Volume per particle = V/N, V the volume of the container (assume 22.4 l) and ##N=N_A##. So the volume per particle is about 3.72 x 10-23 and so r is then about 2.3 x 10-16m from the relation given in the OP. Seems a bit small.

CAF123 said:
the volume per particle is about 3.72 x 10-23

Of what?

and so r is then about 2.3 x 10-16m

No idea how you got it and what the "relation" from the first post is about. But assuming each atom occupies center of a cube of a volume that you already calculated, it is very easy to calculate the distance. And it is definitely different from the number you posted.

Borek said:
Of what?

The 3.72 x 10-23l was the volume per particle that I have calculated.

No idea how you got it and what the "relation" from the first post is about.
This is derived by assuming the atoms occupy a volume comprising a sphere.

But assuming each atom occupies center of a cube of a volume that you already calculated, it is very easy to calculate the distance. And it is definitely different from the number you posted.

Assuming this, I get ##\approx 3.3 \times 10^{-8}m##.

1. How does increasing the temperature of water to 100°C affect the volume of an ideal gas?

According to the Ideal Gas Law, an increase in temperature will lead to an increase in volume of an ideal gas, assuming the pressure and number of moles remain constant. This is because the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules increases, causing them to move faster and take up more space.

2. Will the volume of an ideal gas always increase when the temperature is raised to 100°C?

Yes, according to the Ideal Gas Law, an increase in temperature will always result in an increase in volume of an ideal gas, as long as the pressure and number of moles remain constant. This relationship is known as Charles' Law.

3. How does changing the phase of water from liquid to gas affect the volume of an ideal gas?

When water changes from a liquid to a gas (steam), it undergoes a significant increase in volume due to the change in state. This is because the intermolecular forces holding the liquid molecules together are broken, allowing the gas molecules to spread out and take up more space.

4. Is the Ideal Gas Law applicable to all gases, including water vapor?

Yes, the Ideal Gas Law is applicable to all gases, including water vapor. However, it is important to note that the Ideal Gas Law is an approximation and may not hold true for all gases under all conditions.

5. How does the Ideal Gas Law explain the relationship between volume and temperature?

The Ideal Gas Law states that the volume of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its temperature, assuming constant pressure and number of moles. This means that as the temperature increases, the volume of the gas will also increase, and vice versa.