1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas

1. Jan 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The ambient temperature in outer space is about 3.0K. Most of the matter in space is hydrogen gas at a density of about one atom per 3.0m^3. What is the pressure of this dilute gas if it is in thermal equilibrium at the ambient temperature.

2. Relevant equations

PV = nRT

3. The attempt at a solution

I started with saying that PV = nRT and substituting volume for mass/density since I was given density. I cannot seem to get the correct answer playing with the numbers for mass and density of the hydrogen. The correct answer is 1.4x10-23Pa.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2014 #2
    Show us what you did (in detail), please.

4. Jan 16, 2014 #3
    Well, like I said, I made the equation

P = nRT/V

Then, I replaced volume with mass/density

P = nRTρ/m

After that, the units on density are kg/m3, so I converted the mass of hydrogen into kilograms.

I wasn't given how many moles I had, so I just assumed (probably a bad idea) 1.00mol for simplicity.

After putting this into my calculator it did not give me the desired answer, but I don't know of any other way to look at the problem unless I am given a number a number of moles.

5. Jan 16, 2014 #4
    You are given the number of moles in the 3m^3. How many moles is one atom?

6. Jan 16, 2014 #5
    1/6.022x10^23.

That makes a lot more sense. I am now getting the correct answer. Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted