Calculating Pressure of a Dilute Gas in Space

In summary, you would use the equation PV = nRT to calculate the pressure of a dilute gas in equilibrium at a given temperature. This would be done by substituting volume for mass/density and using the units kg/m3.
Bashkir

Homework Statement

The ambient temperature in outer space is about 3.0K. Most of the matter in space is hydrogen gas at a density of about one atom per 3.0m^3. What is the pressure of this dilute gas if it is in thermal equilibrium at the ambient temperature.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with saying that PV = nRT and substituting volume for mass/density since I was given density. I cannot seem to get the correct answer playing with the numbers for mass and density of the hydrogen. The correct answer is 1.4x10-23Pa.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashkir said:

Homework Statement

The ambient temperature in outer space is about 3.0K. Most of the matter in space is hydrogen gas at a density of about one atom per 3.0m^3. What is the pressure of this dilute gas if it is in thermal equilibrium at the ambient temperature.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with saying that PV = nRT and substituting volume for mass/density since I was given density. I cannot seem to get the correct answer playing with the numbers for mass and density of the hydrogen. The correct answer is 1.4x10-23Pa.
Show us what you did (in detail), please.

Well, like I said, I made the equation

P = nRT/V

Then, I replaced volume with mass/density

P = nRTρ/m

After that, the units on density are kg/m3, so I converted the mass of hydrogen into kilograms.

I wasn't given how many moles I had, so I just assumed (probably a bad idea) 1.00mol for simplicity.

After putting this into my calculator it did not give me the desired answer, but I don't know of any other way to look at the problem unless I am given a number a number of moles.

Bashkir said:
Well, like I said, I made the equation

P = nRT/V

Then, I replaced volume with mass/density

P = nRTρ/m

After that, the units on density are kg/m3, so I converted the mass of hydrogen into kilograms.

I wasn't given how many moles I had, so I just assumed (probably a bad idea) 1.00mol for simplicity.

After putting this into my calculator it did not give me the desired answer, but I don't know of any other way to look at the problem unless I am given a number a number of moles.
You are given the number of moles in the 3m^3. How many moles is one atom?

1/6.022x10^23.

That makes a lot more sense. I am now getting the correct answer. Thank you very much!

1. How do you calculate pressure of a dilute gas in space?

The pressure of a dilute gas in space can be calculated using the ideal gas law: PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. It is often used to calculate the behavior of gases in various conditions, including in space.

3. How does pressure change as volume decreases in a dilute gas?

According to the ideal gas law, as volume decreases, pressure increases, assuming the temperature and number of moles remain constant. This is because the same number of gas molecules are now occupying a smaller space, resulting in more frequent collisions with the container walls.

4. What is the significance of calculating pressure in space?

Calculating pressure in space is important for understanding the behavior of gases in the vacuum of space. It can also provide valuable information for space exploration and engineering, such as designing spacecrafts and life support systems.

5. How does temperature affect the pressure of a dilute gas in space?

According to the ideal gas law, as temperature increases, pressure increases, assuming the volume and number of moles remain constant. This is because the gas molecules gain more kinetic energy at higher temperatures, resulting in more frequent and forceful collisions with the container walls.