Solving Interstellar Gas Pressure: A Daunting Task

In summary, the pressure of gas in an interstellar region may contain 10^6 atoms per cubic meter at a temp of 100 K.
chineseman1
I have been trying to do this questions for about 30 minutes right now and its a one dot questions. I think I am converting the atoms wrong. Could someone help me?

A typical region of interstellar space may contain 10^6 atoms per cubic meter (primarily hydrogen) at a temp of 100 K. What is the pressure of the gas?

>Okay, what I have done was use PV=nrT, but I am having trouble converting it. Do I take the atoms and divide by avogadros?

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what value of r you are using. Your units need to match.

I am using 8.31.

For future reference you should post homework problems in the homework section-where this thread will probably be moved to in a minute anyway.

Anyway, you have 106 atoms in 1 m3. 106 atoms is:
[tex]10^6 atoms\times\frac{1mol}{6.02\times 10^{23} atoms}\approx1.66mol[/tex]
in one m3. Convert m3 to L by multiplying by 1,000 then you can use the ideal gas law.

chineseman1 said:
I am using 8.31.
Always keep in mid what units you are using. [itex]R=8.31\frac{J}{K\cdot mol}[/itex] so you better not convert to liters after all because [itex]1J=1\frac{kg\cdot m^2}{s^2}[/itex], so the unit of volume is the m3

Okay. So I was doing it right!
But when I do use the Ideal Gas Law I get 1.37E-19, while the answer in my book is 10^-15. So I really don't know what I am doing wrong here. I as doing P= nRT/V, so I just plugged in all my variables and still not getting right answer.

chineseman1 said:
But when I do use the Ideal Gas Law I get

1.37E-19,

while the answer in my book is 10^-15. So I really don't know what I am doing wrong here. I as doing P= nRT/V, so I just plugged in all my variables and still not getting right answer.

Take another look at your bookkeeping on exponents.

And, review comments on significant figures.

chineseman1 said:
But when I do use the Ideal Gas Law I get 1.37E-19, while the answer in my book is 10^-15. So I really don't know what I am doing wrong here. I as doing P= nRT/V, so I just plugged in all my variables and still not getting right answer.
What units is your answer in?
What are the units of the answer in the book?
Are you sure you didn't convert your volume to liters? You should keep it as 1m3

I got in! It was sig figs, the killer of me. Thanks to all you guy physics gurus!

What is interstellar gas pressure?

Interstellar gas pressure is the force exerted by gas particles in the interstellar medium (the space between stars) on their surroundings. It is a key factor in understanding the dynamics and evolution of the galaxy.

Why is solving interstellar gas pressure a daunting task?

Solving interstellar gas pressure is a daunting task because it requires advanced mathematical and computational modeling techniques, as well as a deep understanding of the physics and chemistry of the interstellar medium. Additionally, the vast distances and complex structures of the interstellar medium make it a challenging subject to study.

What are some methods used to measure interstellar gas pressure?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure interstellar gas pressure, including spectroscopy, radio observations, and numerical simulations. Spectroscopy involves analyzing the light emitted or absorbed by gas particles to determine their properties, while radio observations use radio waves to map the distribution and movement of interstellar gas. Numerical simulations use computer models to simulate the behavior of interstellar gas under various conditions.

What factors affect interstellar gas pressure?

Interstellar gas pressure is affected by a variety of factors, including the density and temperature of the gas, the presence of magnetic fields, and the presence of other particles such as dust and radiation. The gravitational pull of nearby stars and galaxies can also influence the gas pressure in the interstellar medium.

Why is understanding interstellar gas pressure important?

Understanding interstellar gas pressure is important because it allows us to better understand the dynamics of our galaxy and how it evolves over time. It also provides insight into the formation and evolution of stars and planets, as well as the overall structure of the universe. Additionally, interstellar gas pressure plays a vital role in processes such as star formation and the cycle of matter in the galaxy.