Ideal gases in air bubble

In summary, this conversation discusses the problem of an air bubble at the bottom of a lake rising to the surface and matching its temperature to the surrounding water. The participants use the ideal gas law to calculate the volume of the bubble at the surface and come to the conclusion that the volume would increase due to the decrease in pressure and increase in temperature. They also discuss the importance of considering the answer before solving the problem and the factor of atmospheric pressure in the calculation. Ultimately, the agreed upon answer is that the volume of the bubble at the surface would be 103cm^3.
hils0005
[SOLVED] Ideal gases

an air bubble of volume 20cm^3 is at the bottom of a lake 40m deep where the temp is
4C, the bubble rises to the surface which is at temp 20C, take the temp of the buble to match that of the surrounding water, just as the bubble reaches the surface, what is it's volume?

Homework Equations

pV=nRT
p(f)V(f)/p(i)V(i)=nRT(f)/nRT(i)
final pressure= 1.01*10^5Pa
V(i)=20x10^-6m^3
T(i)=277K
T(f)=293K

The Attempt at a Solution

would need to determine the pressure on the bubble at the bottom of the lake, which I can't remember how to determine
p=hp(density)g?
p=40m(1000kg/m^3)9.8m/s^2
p=39.2x10^4

Vf=(T(f)*(p(i)V(i))/(T(i)p(f))
Vf=(293 * 39.2x10^4 * .00002)/(277*101000)
Vf=2297.12/2.7977x10^7=8.2x10^-5m^3

This shows the volume decreased, wouldn't the volume increase?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't actaully need the value of nR, just set PV/T equal for the top and bottom.
The extra pressure of the water is just the depth * density * g, so for fresh water each 9.8m is 1 extra atmosphere, remember to add on the atmospheric pressure.

As you said the bubble should expand - It's always worth thinking about the answer before you start punching numbers.
The pressure goes down by a factor of around 5 and the absolute temperate goes up by less than 10% so you are looking for an expansion of around 5.

Last edited:
ok
so p=1.01 x 10^5Pa + 39.2x10^4
p=4.93 x 10^6
(293*4.93x10^6*.00002)/(277*101000)
V(f)=28889.8/27977000
V(f)=103cm^3
I think that is the correct answer-Thanks

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between temperature, pressure, and volume. It is assumed to have no intermolecular forces and the particles are infinitely small.

2. What is an air bubble?

An air bubble is a small pocket of air trapped in a liquid, usually water. It is formed when air is trapped beneath the surface of the liquid or when air is dissolved in the liquid and then released.

3. How does an ideal gas behave in an air bubble?

An ideal gas in an air bubble behaves according to the ideal gas law. This means that the pressure of the gas inside the bubble is directly proportional to its temperature and inversely proportional to its volume.

4. Can an air bubble contain an ideal gas?

Yes, an air bubble can contain an ideal gas. In fact, most gases in air bubbles can be approximated as ideal gases because the pressure inside the bubble is usually lower than atmospheric pressure, allowing the gas to behave similarly to an ideal gas.

5. What happens to an ideal gas in an air bubble at different temperatures?

As the temperature of the gas inside the air bubble increases, the pressure also increases and the volume decreases. This is because the particles in the gas are moving faster, increasing the frequency of collisions with the bubble walls and exerting more pressure. The opposite occurs when the temperature decreases.