Solve Ideal Op Amp Question: KCL & KVL

• Thread starter jackstock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amp Op amp
In summary, the conversation discusses using KCL and KVL to solve a circuit problem involving an ideal opamp. The attempt at a solution leads to different answers depending on which node KCL is applied to, due to the presence of hidden currents from the opamp's power supply. It is advised to avoid using the reference or "ground" node as a node for summing currents to prevent this issue.
jackstock

Homework Statement

aw3qew.jpg

Homework Equations

KCL & KVL.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using KVL:

-9 + 10kI1 + 6 = 0
-10 + 20kI2 + 6 = 0
12 + 30kI3 + 6 = 0
40kI4 + 6 = 0

:. I1 = 0.3mA
I2 = 0.2mA
I3 = -0.6mA
I4 = -0.15mA

Now here's where the problem is. When I take KCL at the bottom node:

I1 + I2 + I3 + I4 = I6 [the op amp is ideal so the current through the 6V source is zero]
I6 = -0.25mA

:. Vo = -0.25m*20k = -5V [which is apparently incorrect]

However, when I take KCL at the inverting input to the op amp:

I1 + I2 + I3 + I4 = I5
I5 = -0.25mA

Using KVL again:
Vo - 6 - 0.25m*100k = 0
Vo = 31V [which is apparently correct]

So my question is why do I get different answers depending on which node I take KCL at? Is there something obvious which I'm missing? Thank you in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's because I1, I2, I3, I4 and I6 are not the only currents into the bottom node. The opamp's power supply also provides a current into the bottom node. You will notice that the opamp's output absorbs (or supplies) the sum of I5 and I6, which ultimately finds its way to the power supply. So there is a current into the bottom node not shown on the schematic.

But, summing currents into the inverting input works because there are no hidden currents into that node.

Thank you, that makes sense. For future reference, is there a way to identify where these currents from the power supply will turn up so this doesn't happen again?

The power supply will be connected to the opamp V+ and V- pins (or just V+ if a single supply voltage is used) and the "hidden" currents will be injected into the circuit wherever the supply return is connected. Don't use that node (probably the reference or "ground" node) as a node for summing currents.

I would first suggest double-checking your calculations to ensure they are correct. It is possible that there was a mistake made in one of the equations, resulting in the discrepancy in the answers.

Additionally, it is important to note that when taking KCL at the bottom node, the current through the 6V source should not be assumed to be zero. In an ideal op amp, the input currents are assumed to be zero, but the output current can still be non-zero. So, in this case, the current through the 6V source should be included in the KCL equation.

In general, when solving circuit problems involving ideal op amps, it is important to consider the assumptions and limitations of the ideal op amp model. If there are any doubts or discrepancies in the answers, it may be helpful to simulate the circuit using a circuit simulator software to verify the results.

1. What is an ideal op amp?

An ideal op amp is a theoretical electronic component that has infinite input impedance, zero output impedance, infinite gain, and zero offset voltage. It is often used as a building block in electronic circuits due to its ideal properties.

2. How do you apply Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to solve an ideal op amp question?

To apply KCL, we assume that no current flows into the input terminals of the op amp. This means that the current flowing into the non-inverting input terminal is equal to the current flowing out of the inverting input terminal. We can then use this relationship to solve for the unknown currents in the circuit.

3. How do you apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to solve an ideal op amp question?

To apply KVL, we assume that the voltage at both input terminals of the op amp is equal. This means that the voltage drop across the input resistors is equal to the voltage drop across the feedback resistors. We can then use this relationship to solve for the unknown voltages in the circuit.

4. What are some common assumptions made when solving ideal op amp questions?

Some common assumptions made when solving ideal op amp questions include: zero input current, infinite input impedance, zero output impedance, infinite gain, and zero offset voltage. These assumptions are based on the ideal properties of an op amp and may not always hold true in real-world circuits.

5. Can an ideal op amp be used in practical circuits?

No, an ideal op amp is a theoretical concept and cannot be used in practical circuits. Real-world op amps have non-zero input and output impedances, finite gain, and non-zero offset voltage. However, ideal op amps are still useful for understanding the behavior of op amps in electronic circuits and can be used as a starting point for analysis.